Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music scene in Dallas/Fort Worth Area

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Curry, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Hey, I'm just wondering in anyone here (I'm sure quite a few) are from the Dallas/Fort Worth area and can tell me what the music scene is like there. Thanks in advance :)

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    We have a pretty active music scene here. Lots of genres, lots of venues and clubs. However, competition is also kinda fierce from what Ive gathered if your talking about wanting to play here.

3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Well that's good to hear. What do you mean by competition? Bands competing, or musicians competing for positions in bands? Something else maybe?

4. I'm assuming he means lots of bands trying to get a limited number of gigs. There are probably many spots already occupied by a house band. So you'll have to compete for a spot. We run into that a lot here in Nashville, but it's not horrible because we have sooooo many venues. Because it's Music City, if you sweet talk the girls at Starbuck's they'll let you set up and play there. Almost any spot here can turn into a music venue.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    What he said hehe. Lot of bands, lot of venues with house bands ect.

6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    It's good to hear that there's a lot of places to play. What I'm really wondering is that if there is a good supply of other good musicians out there. Something that my area is seriously lacking. My area doesn't have much support for local music so it's hard to find good experienced guys to work with that are insterested in the same kind of music.

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    That wont be a problem I dont think. Just in my small circle of friends, I know several amazing musicians. With UNT Denton so close, and also having an Arts Magnet high school, as well as many other talented HS folks from other places, there is hardly a lack of good folks to play with.

8. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Sweet man, by the way, I just checked out your project. Feelin' it! seriously groovin stuff. If there's more guys like your project out there I'm sure it will be fun.

9. There is a pretty strong metal scene but I'm not sure if that's your style.

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I appreciate the comments. Unfortunanly, my partner moved away, and even so, we didnt have enough people to play out anywhere anyhow. It was more of a recording project. But there are some great bands around with similar styles :)

11. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    It's not actually. I'm more into funky, jazzy, down-tempo, electro-lounge kind of stuff. I did a gig with a 'rock' band a few months ago, but it's just not my thing.