music school audtion

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Feb 11, 2002.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    hey guys and gals

I want your guys input on some stuff i have to prepare for music school. I'm applying for the jordan school of fine arts in butler university in Indianapolis, Indiana. My question is have any of you gone through this? what should i expect. The instructor said i would have some sort of real basic theory test, a site reading exercise, and i needed to prepare 2 songs of differing types of music. What should expect to read?? i cant read music all that well, will this hurt me. Ok last question, what do u think are 2 good songs to play for them. I know YYZ by rush but i dont know how well i can play it when im nervous, dunno. Any input is appreciated, thanks alot in advance.
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Tell us a little about the school (what kind of music program they have, what kind of music classes they offer, etc.) and a little more about yourself. What are you going to major in? What kind of music do you play now (besides Rush)? What kind of music do you want to end up playing? Do you have a contact person at the school? Are they okay with you playing bass guitar, or will you be expected to play DB as well?

Let us know.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't want to be discouraging at all, but if they're testing on sight reading and you can't do it, then I can only think it will count against you.

I mean why bother testing for sight reading, if you don't care about whether people can do it or not?
  4. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Don't be misled when they say "basic theory" - if you only know bass-specific theory, you could be in for a surprise.

For instance, things like writing out alto parts, sight singing, reading treble or tenor clef, could be part of the agenda. Many bassists probably haven't developed such skills to the level they will need to be at if they are to be tested.

As for your question about sight-reading, I suppose each school would have different entry-level requirements. Still, if it's part of the audition, I'm guessing they would want you to have a decent grasp of it...

Best of luck :cool:
  5. geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    The best source of info is going to be someone from the school. Unless a TB'er has experience with this specific school, I think that's your best bet. Chris sounds a little unsure about the bass guitar. I am too. I spent a long time looking for university music programs that allowed bass guitar players.( I ended up playing string bass in the end, but that's a different story) I don't remember that one making the list. You may be underprepared, or you may not be. Someone from the school will be able to tell you much easier than someone from Talkbass.
  6. There shouldn't be any points off for wanting to be prepared!!

And the best thing to do is to show up, as prepared as possiable, do your best, don't even attempt to BS them, and let them know that you are a good learner and will be excited to learn what you do not already know!

Good luck!
  7. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    ok thanks for all the info. Heres a little more from my end. Well i wont actually be playin anything at the school. The music instructor told me that they basically just wanted me to audition to see where i was, if i didnt know how to do sumthing then it wouldnt count against me. i will be playing probably a bass song and a guitar song probbaly, but she said it was cool if i play electric. Im actually going to major in music business. i can read music but i dont know many people who can site read and play a just as fast on bass. I know maybe one person at my pretty large music program at my school. I will be learning more about the business end of things and alot of recording stuff. Besides playing in maybe the jazz band and playing in a band with other guys i wont be actually taking and bass or guitar classes, for my major at least. I am gonna take our home video of my band that someone did for usm, our cd's, and all the cd's ive mixed for other bands. i think that will help me more than anything is that im workin in a recording studio now, and i record for local bands in my free time.