Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music school question for Chris F.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Apr 3, 2003.

1. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'm a freshmen in college at Colorado University (denver campus) and I've been giving a lot of thought to what to major in the last year or two. The more I play and get involved with different aspects, the more its "called" to me and interested me on a larger-than-hobby scale. Its actualyl the only thign I am very interested in pursuing at the time, but perhaps I'm being unrealistic- my question is this-
    In a typical Music School (don't know if you know anythign about CU's), what are the criteria for getting accepted for music performance? I know that an audition is required, and the competition is rather stiff to get accepted, but what would you typically expect of someone to be able to do in an audition?
    I'm going to talk to the department head sometime soon and find out as much as I can on the specific criteria.

2. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    If your school has an accredited Bachelor of Music programme you will be required to sight-read some notation,walk and blow on a standard(s),take a theory placement test(harmony and counterpoint) and an ear training evaluation test(sight-singing,dictation).:eek:

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    ouch. I know a fair amount of basic theory right now, but it would be a huge stretch to ge the counterpoint stuff (even though I love fuges and such) adn my sight-singing/ear training good enough in one year. I have to choose a major by my junior year...like I said, I'm probably being unrealistic. I'd go back and get it after finishing some other degree, but I doubt I would have the time once I get out of college making low-end wages and everything. :meh:

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I can't really answer many of those questions without knowing you and your circumstances. That said, you should look at any schools you might be considering for the following criteria:

1) Do they accept BG players as performance majors? Many schools do not, preferring instead to recruit DB players for their orchestras. At the University of Louisville (one of the schools where I teach), DB players are the only bass performance majors accepted. But at Bellarmine U., I teach more BG players than DB players...in fact, the only DB player graduated this fall.

2) What kind of music does the music department specialize in, and how well does that line up with what you want to learn? Make sure the curriculum offers something you want, even if only in a general way.

3) Is there a particular teacher at the school you really want to study with? A good teacher on your instrument can be a deal maker. Choose carefully, since you'll be spending four years of your life and a ****load of practice time getting trained by that person. Try to hear him/her perform if you can, and if possible meet them or talk on the phone.

4) Make sure you know what you want. The only real reason to consider a career in music (in my opinion) is because you can't imagine not doing it. If you're only curious, or really like it but don't really love it to the point where you're prepared to pay some serious dues and live hand-to-mouth for quite a few years, then choose something else and possibly minor in music. There are a lot of great players out there who have regular day gigs and play on their off time. For this reason, it pays to make sure the school you choose has a good reputation and other things to offer you than just the music department.

EDIT: about your original question re: audition requirements, each school is different. If you can give more specific information, I might be able to reciprocate.
    Good luck, and let me know if I can help.

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    The auditions are usually pretty tricky and will require more than basic theory knowledge. High school music courses are not nearly enough.

I had thought about majoring in music when I started university almost 6 years ago, and I forgot about it when I saw the audition requirements (they didn't take BGers anyway).

That said, I'm kinda glad I didn't, because now I can work by day and choose who I play with at night (as opposed to having to do so in order to eat), just as DURRL said...

I'd love to go back and do a music program somewhere now though. The trouble is finding one that has night courses!

6. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    A lot of colleges and some universities offer a ''music studies'' program as opposed to a music BA degree.Usually there is still an audition process but if you're found to be lacking they sometimes do a have a first year program for players who have a certain amount of ability on their instrument but are lacking technical training.IME,interestingly enough,a good portion of the material covered after that first year is the same material taught at the BA level.

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    ConU, just curious, where did you study?

8. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    I graduated last year from Concordia University in Montreal...B.F.A. Jazz studies.

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    If you're ever up in this neck o' the woods, drop me a line if you like. :)

10. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    I'll send you my e-mail as a PM if you like,always good to talk to fellow hosers!Go Senators Go!

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Works for me! Actually I am a Leafs fan though :eek:

12. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    :bassist: Me too!!I was just trying to be nice!:D Leafs are gonna go out first round though,they won't beat Philly:bawl: