1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

music schools for bassists

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by marine18, Aug 24, 2012.

1. marine18

marine18

Dec 30, 2008
    maiden, n.c.
    i am working on choosing a school that i can study the electric bass at. what are some good schools that i can look at that are inexpensive and have really good programs.

2. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

Sep 26, 2011
    It really depends on a lot of things, like where you live for a start and how old you are and what course you want to study!

I live in England, so I'm pretty useless in this situation unless you do too, but otherwise if you want anyone else to help, try to be a bit less vague when asking questions like that.

Best of luck to you!! :D

3. hersonRS3

hersonRS3

Aug 23, 2012
    Norwalk, CA
    There are alot of good online resources now a days. Skype lessons maybe? I like to use scottsbasslessons.com, real good stuff!

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Music performance degrees are basically useless, unless you have a lot of money to throw at school. Are you planning on teaching? A degree won't really help you get gigs like real world experience will.

5. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    In your neck of the woods I would check out Coastal Carolina University. Steve Bailey was teaching there until he took the Bass Chair at Berklee and I believe Woody Lingle, a good friend of mine and a great bassist, is now the Electric Bass Instructor. Matt White, a great Jazz Trumpeter and Composer, has just been hired on there. I don't think it's too expensive.
    If you're interested in Nashville, I'd invite you to check out the program at Belmont (I head the Bass Department). We have Adam Nitti, Craig Nelson and Stephanie Dickinson, who are all seasoned pros and educators. It's not as pricy as Berklee or U of M and you're in an Industry Town. You can major in Electric Bass.

6. elshunko

elshunko

Jun 25, 2010
    Words of wisdom.

7. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2008
    For electric bass exclusively there are not many options out there (most ask for upright bass as well). I am in Berklee right now and Steve Bailey just came in and will start this Fall, there are also rumors that Patitucci might be coming in as a faculty member as well.
    RIght now I study with Lincoln Goines.
    This is a great school but as you probably know $$ is a problem here. If you can work your way to a nice scholarship it is worth it because you really can study every style of music possible here and variety/versatility is very important (specially for bass players).

But then again $$$$$$$, so I would look into Belmont as well.

You might also want to check Calarts, sunny purchase, new school (although i think they ask for upright), and Richard Bona is at NYU (or city college? not sure).

8. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Both John Pattitucci and Victor Bailey are visiting faculty at Berklee for one week a month this year. USC also has a great program with Alphonso Johnson teaching. There are some good choices out there.
    We have Electric Bass Majors study two years of upright in addition to their electric studies. I personally feel it doubles your income opportunities and have seen that in my own career. We definitely don't think the electric bass is "a toy" but a serious instrument worthy of serious study.

9. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2008
    Yeah I also heard about Victor Bailey, from what I know they were only rumors but I guess the word is out already.

I also agree 100% with the doubling of upright and electric bass, i feel it not only doubles it but it probably triples it? upright bass tends to get more calls than electric. The cool thing is there are many teachers with different styles, I for once take upright and electric bass lessons from Lincoln Goines and it is going great, I think its important to have a good balance between the two instruments.

I do know the majority of colleges with music programs and conservatories will require mostly upright bass and some of them do think of electric bass as a toy.

10. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Completely avoid "For Profit" schools.

11. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    omg I would LOVE to have richard Bona as a teacher!!!

12. Willopis

Willopis

Aug 25, 2012
    SoCal
    I think I might look into USC if AJ
    is there,thanks

13. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Check out ICMP in London. Crazy inexpensive. And it seems to be a really solid program (I visited it personally earlier this year...)

The Institute of Contemporary Music Performance - Bass Courses

MM

14. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Uh, there is no "sunny purchase". It's SUNY/Purchase. As in the State University of New York @ Purchase. :rolleyes:

MM