music schools??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fivesevenoh, Nov 5, 2003.

1. does anyone know of any good schools for bass?
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

There are many, many schools at which one may study bass. The question you want one that specializes in acoustic upright bass or do you want to specialize in electric bass guitar? Also, what style of music do you wish to study? Some music schools place a heavy emphasis on classical repertoire or lean heavily toward a jazz curriculum.

We have had numerous discussions of music schools here at TalkBass, so if you do a search you can find out what schools and universities have been suggested before.

Right off hand, I'd say Jeff Berlin's school in Florida's west coast would be worth considering. It is called The Players School of Music.

Another school often mentioned here is Berklee in Boston. It is really expensive, but has a very distinguished group of alumni, not just in bass, but in many areas of music. Some TalkBass members have attended Berklee, but I don't know if any have attended The Players School.

Be aware that most music schools require some form of audition and many have minimal requirements, such as the ability to read standard notation. Reading tablature is NOT generally an attribute prized by music schools. Jeff Berlin's school does have a reading course for those who can't read music or their skills are not up to acceptable standards. Other schools expect that your reading of standard notation WILL BE already at their standard when you apply.

Some university and college music programs also expect the entering music major to have a certain minimum knowledge of music theory.

One thing you could do is look into community college or junior college courses in music. Such schools tend to be cheaper and not have such rigid standards for entrance into their programs. Even so, they do offer an excellent start and will provide you with a thorough foundation upon which you can expand at more prestigious institutions once you complete your music studies at the lower level.
  3. I want a school that specializes in Electric Bass. I play metal. but I would love to learn Jazz, or classical, etc.

Don't you have to be REALLY good to attend Berklee? I hear it has one of the highest drop out rates...
  4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    no you dont have to be really good to attend berkly, thats probably why the drop out rate is to high. They'll accept pretty much anyone, but you have to be pretty good, or driven to stay in. I have a few buddies who go there and some like it and some dont. Theres also the musicians institute in hollywood i beleive. I go to a music school but there is not electric bass, just upright, but it is an excellent program. The bass teacher here is david murray, the president of the international society of bassists.