Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Schools

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by ImAGoodDuck, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Hey everybody. I'm looking for a music school in the northwest area or mid-west. My folks are living in Colorado so I don't want to go really really far away. Doesn't really have to be conservitory or nothing. I do want a really strong jazz program though. I have been looking with no such luck. Thanks for your help everyone.

2. But you can't go wrong with IU school of music. We have a great classical department and our jazz bands are great. David Baker is the head of the jazz dept and he practicly wrote the book on jazz. Also you could look into Depaul or Rosevelt in Chicago they have ok classical depts and and good jazz gigs to be had in Chicago

3. The University of Northern Iowa has a great jazz program. They are known to be on of the top jazz programs in the country. Several of my frieds from high school go there that are exceptional jazz musicians.

Also, one of my best friends goes to Laurence in Appleton Wisconsin they have a top quality conservatory. However, Laurence would be farther away and is much more expensive (30g's vs. around 16,000)

4. I'll add the props for Indiana University. I studied there for a few years; eight folks who were there with me won major symphony jobs, and four more players, since I left IU, have gone on to continue the "winning streak".
    The Jazz department there was doing great things as well, Dave Baker is a great and inspiring teacher and player, by *all* accounts.

5. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [[Also you could look into Depaul or Rosevelt in Chicago they have ok classical depts and and good jazz gigs to be had in Chicago

Actually the classical bass professor at DePaul is extremely strong IMO. Rob Kassinger has degrees from Manhattan School of Music and Juilliard where he studied with Homer Mensch who is THEE classical bass guru as best as I can tell. In addition, Rob is a very very fine jazz bass player and was a top call guy in the Denver area.