1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music Schools

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tburns, Apr 29, 2006.

1. tburns

tburns

Apr 29, 2006
    Hello. I've been seriously thinking about going to a music lately. The ones that I'm interested in are Berklee, Jeff Berlin's Players School of Music, and Mcnally Smith. What do you think would be the best one? I'd like opinions from people who have gone to them or want to go to them.
    Also, I've already taught myself alot of theory, and I wouldn't want to sit in a class being taught things that I already know.
    idk,.. thoughts, oponions? pros and cons of each school?

2. I don't have experience with any of those schools. But having been in a conservatory - you can not have enough ear training. And some voice and keyboard lessons wouldn't be bad, either.

Good luck. :)

3. Cloggy

Cloggy

Apr 5, 2006
    You can always start an argument with the lecturers.
    It should be flat 10th,not #9 for instance.
    Sorry.

:D

4. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Tburns,
    Think about going a path that will help you out now AND in the future. Consider a school where you'll walk away with a sustantive degree, one that will continue to open doors for you in the future. It's not on your list, but consider getting a Bachelor's degree from an accredited university, or at least a junior college.
    Music is not a very stable area of occupation - so having a "certificate" from Jeff Berlin's workshop will not open many doors for you. It says nothing to the potential employer who's interviewing you when you're in your 30's, 40's, 50's. A Bachelor's degree says that you can complete a "major" task in your life, and that you have *some* expertise in a field.
    I read somewhere that a person with a Bachelor's degree earns close to $1,000,000 more over a lifetime than someone without one.

With Pell Grants, Scholarships, student loans, etc. available, attending college is definitely a doable thing.

Experience speaking.;) Enjoy your life, my friend.