music store gripe.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gabe, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    A few days ago my el cheapo bass guitar bit the dust. Something to do with the electronics so i get no sound now. I took it to the semi local music store, left it with the guy saying I wanted it to make sound again. The other plan was he would call me about what needed to be done and when it would be ready.

A few days later, I still haven't heard from him, but I'm in town and deceid to stop in. He tells me to come back In an hour and he'll have the bass back from the shop (the one I hadn't known it was going to. I had gotten the impression repairs were done on the premises).

An hour later I come and pick up the bass and he tells me that they didn't have the tools to fix the electronic issues and I would have to take it to another shop. What they did do was tweek the truss rod and action and charge me 30 bucks for it.

Is this accepted practice to not fix the real problem but minor ones when you are unable to fix the big one? The truss rod and action weren't that bad and, as this was becoming my second bass, I would have likely adjusted those myself. So as it is, I have a unplayable bass with wonderful action and 30 dollers less.
  2. tboyd

Sep 10, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    I would say that is a definite NO. What they did was very un-cool. I assume you paid them, so it is too late now, but the right thing to do would be to explain to them that you did not authorize that kind of work and refuse to pay. I have had similar experiences with auto repair. In those cases they would try to charge more than I was quoted. They said they had to do extra work. I would just explain to them that they didn't call me to authorize the extra work. They would balk at it for a while but eventually relent. What can they do? They can't very well keep your property.

On the other hand, if you do eventually get the bass working again, and they did a good job with the adjustments, the 30 bucks you are out isn't too far out of line with the adjustment prices I have seen.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'd said that a quote was requested and you didn't OK any work.

I wouldn't have paid... call the local BBB

truss rod and action! I set my basses to match my playing style. If they intonated it, then depending on the attitudes of the people involved I might pay for unrequested work. But how dare they adjust relief and action without asking the players preference!
  4. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    as much as i hate san antonio, this would never happen here.

that really sucks. i would try the BBB as well, if they are not a member, prolly nothing will be done.
  5. Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    I doubt they are in the bbb as it's a pretty small shop in a fairly small town but they can rest assured I won't be patronizing them again.