Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Store needs my Resume...help!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FireBug, Oct 15, 2005.

1. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    I want to get a job at Rockin Robin's Guitars in Houston as a bass guy because well....what an awesome work-environment!

The manager is a man of few words. The guy I was on the phone with asked him something and he said "Turn in a resume." Not only do I have no retail experience whatsoever, but the only job I ever really had was doing hard labor for my grandfather on his ranch. Muscle work.

Besides this, how should I organize a resume for this place? I'm out of high school so do I put 3 years of Spanish on there? Typical stuff like words per minute? I woudn't think so. It's a music store. I have good people skills and a wealth of knowledge on bass equipment thanks to you guys :D , but what else should I put on there?

I've heard that at Guitar Center they look for people with an interest in music (duh) and that's really about it.

I guess a question I should ask you guys is "what does it take?" I would rather work there than anywhere else. I suppose I need to let them know that, but that alone won't get me in.

I appreciate the help guys!

2. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    It's weird that they didn't give you a form to fill out. That's usually how stores make hires. I hope the guy on the phone wasn't giving you the brush-off. I'd go by the store, introduce yourself, and ask to talk to the manager and then ask him/her if they have a form and, if not, what kind of information they'd like included on a resume.

3. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Well, I've actually met the GM before and that really did sound like a response he would give. I know that asking questions is supposed to be a good thing, but I am positive that this guy wants someone who knows what he is doing from the get-go. No time wasted.

What I plan on doing is making it look as professional as possible by choosing the standard business template for a resume and filling in the areas with information. I just don't know what to fill in.

What do you think? If one of you was in my shoes what would you put on there?

4. Having lived in that area before, I'd be sure to include the biligual aspect.

Mike

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Your resume is your opportunity to sell yourself. Define the purpose of the resume... a Thesis if you will... All of your information should go directly to answering that purpose.

I'd make sure you address these things:

1) You need to communicate what your technical knowledge is in relationship to the job. How long have you been playing bass? What brands/typesof gear are you familiar with? Do you do your own set-up/repair work? if not do you have the knowledge?

2) You'll need to play up other skills that will show how well you can sell stuff.

3) Education and achievements show that you can follow through and complete a task.

4) References should be people who know you for more than a year and they themselves are somewhat of an authority. Bass teachers, Family friends, Youth group leaders, teachers.. etc.

Be honest, but don't be self-defeating.

oh... and one more thing... SPELL AND GRAMMER CHECK... don't trust WORD, or whatever you are using... print one and have someone else look it over for edits. I've done some hiring work, and the first thing we do is look for blatant grammer, typographical, and spelling errors. We didn't care how good the rest of the resume was. If you can't follow through on small, yet important details, why should I hire you?

6. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Cool. That helps a lot. How should I go about structuring it? I mean how should I taylor all that info to look like a professional resume?

Sections such as:
    *Bass experience (years playing, performances)
    *Equipment knowledge (amps/woods/pickups/preamps/cabinets and the characteristics of each)
    *Teaching experience
    *Equipment setup (fine tuning a bass such as truss rod, action, intonation and amp structure, solid state/tubes, graphic/semi-parametric,)
    *People skills (foreign language and ability to talk/sell to people)
    *References

Are these good topics and do I have the right information in them? By the way, I know there is word for adjusting the truss rod, but it's not coming to mind.

Thanks. I really appreciate the help!

7. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    It also seems that with every store I've been to, all the demo basses have crappy truss rod, action, and intonation adjustment. I would think that if you wanted to sell a bass that you would want to make it as playable as possible? Is this major bonus points if I can do all this myself before putting a demo bass out? It seems like a quality that should be valued, but isn't.

EDIT - Would being an active member of the talkbass.com community serve as a reference?

8. As much as i agree with your statement firebug, In defence of the music store, the person setting up the basses does so to their liking, which may be competely different to the way you like your bass set up :p (excluding the stores that have obviously done nothing cause the bass is nigh on unplayable!)

Just an interesting thought I thought I would share

9. +1. Over the phone is pretty much useless. You need to go in and do a "face-to-face" and then get an application to work there. They'll keep it on file and check them when openings come up. Go in and get one and fill it out if you're really looking to work there.

10. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    :D

11. I don't think they really care how interested you are in music or anything like that. What you want to focus on is how good you are at selling. If you're going to work at a music store, chances are you are going to be selling stuff. You can have all the bass knowledge in the world and love music to death, but if you can't convince them that you can sell and make them money, you won't get hired.

12. BroKenSticKs

BroKenSticKs

Jan 11, 2010
    If you don't have much work experience focus on having a good cover letter. Google cover letter to get an idea of how one should be. A resume is sort of a way to list qualifications. Its like a spec sheet for you. Where as the cover letter is like a description of a product, and if written well could be enough to get an interview...and then just go from there.

13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Cover letter is your sales pitch for yourself -- basically tell them why they ought to hire you. The resume is the documentation. Include your level of education, work experience, and any other experience that's relevant, like what instruments you play and for how long, Spanish ability, etc. Another thing to think about is references - former bosses, teachers, personal references -- basically anyone who can testify that you're responsible, hardworking, reliable, etc. Preferably not your own family, of course.

14. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Having worked at a music store they would rather have a car salesman than a musician. They don't care how much you like or know about music. The two best salesmen that worked there were the worst players and knew the least about gear. They could sell the heck out of gear though. I found working at a music store to be pretty sucky. It sucks all of the life out of a real musician. So many people came to work their with your attitude and left quickly surprised it was a real job. The only cool part is the discount, but they don't pay enough to really use it.

15. Glad I'm not the only one who saw that...:p

16. Most companies now require a resume prior to scheduling an interview. Many no longer have paper applications and instruct job seekers to apply online. I would include your work experience on your grandfather's farm. Also get two or three letters of recommendation from teachers, friends of your family or even store employees if you know any. Make sure they include comments about your work ethic. In your cover letter, acknowledge that you do not have a lot of experience but you really want to learn the business. Ask them if you can come in and spend a day in the store so you can show them what you can do.

One more thing. At the end of your post you included the following:

"A six string bass is like a girlfriend with real big breasts.They're kind of cool, all your friends like to look, but in the end they're just more than you need."
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Anything you post online is there forever. Be careful what you are posting on forums, Facebook, MySpace, etc. While I'm sure your comment was meant to be funny, there are a lot of people who will find it offensive and unprofessional.

Good Luck

17. Am I the only one who noticed that this thread was started five years ago?

18. Col Pruse

Col Pruse Supporting Member

May 28, 2003
    Savannah, GA
    the jiffyresumes guy strikes again...

19. Apparently you are! Funny thing is that I usually check the original date before I reply. For some reason I didn't on this one.

20. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    No, I saw the date when I opened it. I thought there would be a update and he is now the GM of the store.