Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music store score - (McBride, Hot Wires compilation, Jaco)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DigMe, Mar 17, 2003.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Today I was driving around and I noticed that a particular Music Wherehouse location was closing down so I stopped in to check out the deals. I ended up finding some good discounted stuff. Here's my haul:

Christian McBride - Vertical Vision. Got this one brand new at 25% off. Great CD. I wish it was all electric bass. The electric tunes on this CD are SLAMMIN!

Bass Talk IV - Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Bass
    This is a compilation of tunes from bass players that is part of a series released by Hot Wire (the same people who make the Dann Glenn signature basses). I haven't gotten to listen to this one yet but it's got tunes from Alphonso Johnson (I'm excited to hear this one!), Mark Egan, Kim Stone, Kai Eckhardt and Carol Kaye among others (no, Carol Kaye's tune is NOT Bernadette. :) ). This should be cool. There's a lot of Euro names that I've never heard of.

Jaco Pastorius - A Good Stitch for Golden Roads. Honestly I've never heard of this. It's a Japanese release and the only musicians it lists are "Jaco Pastorius - bass, perc, kyd, etc." and "Benjamin Germain - kyd, perc." Never heard of Germain. To be honest this CD is still sitting in it's wrapper because when I saw it I thought "Oh cool, this looks like a rare import Jaco CD that I can sell on Ebay to help pay for today's CD buying splurge." Now though I'm not so sure that it would sell for much...I don't know. Does anyone know anything about this CD?

Sex Mob - Does Bond. I think this will be a good CD. I have Sex Mob's "Solid Sender" and it's really great. I like their vibe and they groove. This is all covers of various tunes from the soundtracks of James Bond movies. The titles are kinda funny and include such zingers as "Teasing the Korean," "Oddjob's Pressing Engagement," and "This Never Happened to the Other Feller." Definitely interested to hear this.

I saw some other things I wanted including a Bromberg CD and a Mike Stern CD that had Lincoln Goines and someone else of note who I can't remember on bass but I couldn't afford anymore (I also got a CD from a random underground rap artist that isn't of any interest here).
    Just thought I'd share my deals. The McBride and Jaco CD's were new and the others were used. All were at least 25% off. It was a fun day.

brad cook