Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Store Trips

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by squierplayer120, Apr 1, 2005.

1. squierplayer120

squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Monday
    GC
    MIM Jazz- Action great, tone awesome as well out of an Ampeg combo, about 150w.
    Stingray-out of Ampeg combo as well, godly tone.
    Ibanez Iceman-Sounds like MMSD's not-quite-deep-enough tunnel. Absolutely awful. No low end at all, too much buzz.
    MIA Jazz-Sounds like Thor coming out off the heavens, plays like butter.
    Thursday
    Cascio
    MIM Jazz-Action's way too high, can only be played with a pliers.
    G&L ASAT Bass-Through a Fender Bassman 120w combo, sounds awesome, rolled on a bit more lows though.
    MIM P-Bass=Action way low, sounds good, but hard to play.
    Friday
    Ward-Brodt
    Conklin 7-Neck is huge! Also, plays like heaven. Kudos to Bill and crew.
    Peavey Cirrus Fretless 5-Sounds like God. Plays well too.

well fellas that's about it lol

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Now those are two field trips I would have liked to have taken. Isn't it great to be able walk into a music store and try out any number of basses? Sure the setups are usually bad but I find I can learn alot about the bass by pluggin it in to the cheapest amp in the store. Bonus if it's during the week and you don't have to suffer through the Blackmore and Page wannabees.

Now for the question you left unanswered....was there any bass (es ) that you were gassing for in the shops??

3. squierplayer120

squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Well both of the Jazzes at GC, the Conklin, the ASAT, and the Cirrus 5 fretless. I think that's it.

But, I wanted to throw the Ibanez into a sewer. It sounded like it belonged there.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Are you going to buy one of the ones you tried out?

-Mike

5. squierplayer120

squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I'm saving for the MIM Jazz at GC.
    lol i hope that answers it

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Sure does. Smart on you to play several before you decided on one.

-Mike

7. I love Guitar shop trips. I do them regularly, me and my mates call is the Guitar Shop Hop. Twice a month we get a train into the city and scheck out all the music stores we can, i have witnessed and played many-a-great bass on these trips. Truely, that is the life for me...