Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Stores in Kentucky/Ohio/Tennessee

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Meyekul, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Can anyone recommend some good music shops in the KY/OH/TN area? By "good" I mean based on prices, service, and selection. I live just a little bit on the KY side of the TN border, about an hour or two from Knoxville. Next week I'm going to be going through Cincinnati, OH to Columbus, OH for Ozzfest, so anything along that route (I-75 and I-71) would be excellent.

I'm looking for a new bass and amp. The amp I can get from Ebay + Avatarspeakers.com, but I would like to try out some nice rigs if possible.

I've been to a few local music shops and they don't have a very good selection; mostly overpriced, low-end Fenders, Yamahas, Washburns, Peaveys, Ibanezes, and a couple Trabens. The one I've liked the most so far is the Washburn T24, but the shop wanted over $800 for it without a case! Sam Ash has the same model for $300, so obviously I wont be purchasing ANYTHING from that store. I could always do my shopping at stores and then order it online, but I'd really like to play the actual bass I'll be buying before shelling out my hard-earned cash.

I'd like to try out some nice basses in the $300-$1000 range, but I'd prefer to get something good for $500 or so. I'd go over that if something REALLY grabbed me. Some basses that look interesting to me are Rickenbackers, Alembics, and the Peavey Cirrus, but none of my local shops have anything like those.

So yeah.. if anyone can guide me, I'd appreciate it. :hyper:

2. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    there's sam ash, willis music, and GC.
    if you want to try some high end stuff, there's midwest music and audio.
    PM if you want, and i'll get you the addresses, and mapquest links from wherever you want.

3. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    You can get some good deals at Midwest. Also Mashinot's in Newport.

4. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    If you were to find yourself within detour distance of Nashville, Corner Music will be worth your time. One of the better retail stores in the greater Nash-vegas area IMO

There was also this fantastic pawn shop at the southern end of town that was simply overloaded with all kind of musical instruments. It's been just long enough since I lived in the area that I can't remember what the name of the place or street is. If you really planned to go, I could call a friend in the area and get the info.

PM me if you don't see a reply here within a reasonable amount of time, as i may have lost track of this thread.

R

5. Also, if you can make it to Nashville, check out Gruhn Guitars downtown, just to drool over expensive vintage guitars and basses.

On the south side of town, there is Nashville Used Music, sometimes they have decent deals but it's kinda hit and miss, plus you really need to have a pretty good idea what stuff is worth before you go in there....

6. Thanks for all the replies. Daofktr, I sent you a PM.

Nashville is about 4 hours from me, but I don't think I'll be going that way any time soon.

Keep it coming if you all have any more suggestions! :)

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would head down to Nashville. Someone already menioned Corner Music, it's a great shop with some very nice sales people. At least that was the case back in the 1990's when lived in Kentucky. Rock Block Guitars is also a great shop with some very, very nice basses.
    Nashville also has some of the best prices on new and used gear I have ever seen, much cheaper than the prices I see here in the St. Louis area.

8. If I don't find any good deals on my Ohio trip I may make a journey to Nashville next. Music City USA would be a good choice, eh? :)

9. JD at corner music can have some awesome deals. I got an Ampeg SVT4 pro new in box for $900. there are some cool pawn shops here. I got my mint Eden 210XLT for $200. Gruhns has some cool stuff but prices can be crazy. Rock Block is also pretty cool.

10. I'd also suggest going to Nashville for the variety and inventory, but the prices also tend to be quite a bit higher because it's Nashville!

Alas, last fall, Knoxville lost one of its oldest and best stores, Chapman Highway Guitar Shop.

Pick and Grin is a good store, you can negotiate prices, but the inventory is somewhat small.

Of course, we have a Guitar Center.. but we all know what those are.

A good little store on Kingston Pike is Music Room Guitars..

There is a neat (and big!) store on Hwy 66 between I-40 and Sevierville called The Music Outlet you should take a look at sometime, if you haven't already.

Of course, most everyone on TB knows about Rik's Music and their great deals on G-Ks..

You can also give Jim Williams a holler. Jim was an Eden Electronics special projects rep for many years before Lane Baldwin. Jim still does some dealership work, especially for EA and MTD.

Some ideas from the Knoxville area! If you need any help contacting any of the above people, send me a PM..