1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music stores near Detroit/Cincy/Cleveland/Columbus with good bass/amp selection?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunder Pulse, May 13, 2010.

1. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    I'm not necessarily looking for the Midwest version of Bass Northwest, but I'd like to know if anyone in the areas I mentioned can recommend a music store with a good variety of bass gear, and hopefully with a knowledgeable sales staff. Thanks.

2. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Woodsy's in Kent, OH...

25 miles southeast of Cleveland. It's above average, not over the top great, but certainly waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than gui**** Center

3. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    That's one, thanks. Off the top of your head can you think of what brands of amps they have that I wouldn't find at GC? They have any Mesa gear?

4. subscribe

5. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Hey Orange, since you're in Redford I'm sure you're aware of Motor City Guitars. I've never been there - would it be worth a trip or are they shy on bass gear?

6. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    Also subscribin'...

Too bad the Low Down Sound store is no longer around...you can still order speakers from them, though.

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Ryan from LDS is now the bass guy at Southfield GC.

Also, Motor City Guitars in Waterford and Huber & Breese in Fraser.

8. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    Hey malthumb,

Yep! I bought a Fender '75 J RI from Ryan last year. Glad to hear he is still at GC.

I haven't been to H&B in awhile. Sad to report that Mr. Breese passed away last Saturday and his services were yesterday...may he rest in peace. Hopefully, Mr. Huber will continue the business, as they've managed to survive the GC invasion and I'd hate to see H&B go away.

9. OK. They're up in Waterford, about 1/2hour or so north of me. Practically in my brother's back yard.

I should put in a plug for Blue Fish Music in the Old Village area of Plymouth. That store specializes in acoustic instruments, but somke cool basses show up. The owner is a great tech.

10. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Yeah, I know where they're at.... but would it be worth it to go there? Do they have a decent amount of bass gear there? I'm more interested in amps than basses. Do you know if they have any Mesa bass gear?

11. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Last time I was there they had Mesa. Can't recall if it was new (as in are they a dealer) or used. You could always check their website to see if they are a dealer. Their bass selection is pretty good. They have all the Fenders, some Warwick, a lot of Peavey, some of the MTD Z series basses, G&L. In fact, they're the only place in Michigan where I've seen G&L new on the wall.

A lot of cool stuff that I'm just not remembering.

I'd say it's worth the drive.

12. I think that Music Castle on Woodward in Royal Oak carries G & L.

I haven t been in there in over a year.

13. Motor City has GOBS of bass gear. A whole wall of basses, a big aisle of amps, and even some overflow of basses up on the balcony (it's an old converted movie theatre). THE best in the Detroit area. Better than Huber and Breese, better than any GC. They have all the major brands. I've bought two basses there myself.

Roger

14. They do, but they don't have much stock. Cool shop, but not that big. Not your first choice, IMHO.

Roger

15. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
  16. Ryan is no longer working at GC

17. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I second Woodseys in Kent Ohio. They have Mesa and some high end gear best selection around for bass and pretty good service and prices too. Try a small shop in Rootstown south of Kent ..Tema guitars for some cool gear. He carries allot of guitars and amps but a decent bass selection including Tobias, Warrick and is a GL dealer. He has allot of high end guitar amps etc in a small shop. The owner is a great gut but has funny hours.

18. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Subscribed...

19. Definitely second Huber and Breese - great store. You'll be missed, Terry Breese :(

They have a decent selection and can get you what you want if they don't have it. Staff is friendly and knowledgeable (most of 'em are gigging musicians too). Worth the trip just to see some the unique guitars they have.

20. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    DANG!!! When did he leave? I bought a keyboard stand from him in March or April.