1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music stores that sell carved basses in South Carolina

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bassmanevans95, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Well im looking for a great carved bass and live in Columbia South Carolina I have looked throughout the entire city and all the music stores I went to only sell plywood bass. Are there any shops in South Carolina that sells Carved Basses?

2. Suggestion: from Golihur's List of Luthiers

Call & ask to speak to the Luthier:

Charleston, SC - Chris Bluemel, Luthier, The Instrument Doc, LLC,
    843-276-9239 index theidoc@aol.com Repairs, restorations

Greenville, SC - Furman Boyce, Luthier, 864-895-3282 Repairs

Surely, they can offer some guidance

Good Luck!

3. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    I recommend Bernhardt House of Violins in Greenville, SC.

There are three other shops within a reasonable drive from Columbia:

Ronald Sachs Violins- Atlanta

Huthmakers Fine Violins, Atlanta GA

Bass Violin Shop- Greensboro, NC

If you are looking for something specific, I do bass work for a lot of professionals in the area, and keep up with what might be for sale privately. PM me if you're interested.

I only know "the instrument doc" by reputation, and although I live in Greenville, I have never met or seen any of Furman Boyce's work.

FWIW,
    Brian

4. Thanks I will try to contact/visit shops. I actually visited Bernhardt last time I was Greenville but the owner was out and they only had two basses so not much of variety but I might see myself going back there in the near future.

5. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I would stay away from the I instrument doc for bass work. I don't have anything against them personally but from my experience 6 years ago you should look elsewhere for proper set up. I don't think the guys working there are bass players. Talk to Frank Duvall in charleston or Craigbutterfield in Columbia for recommendations on luthiers and where to buy a bass.

6. jumpjibe

jumpjibe

Aug 10, 2010
    NC
    If you can make the drive to NC, the Bass Violin Shop has a nice selection.

Got my first bass there & later had Bob B. and Gael (who has since gone west) do some work on my second. First is for pizz and second for arco.

You can preview the selection on Bob's website. It really would be worth the trip.

7. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    There are a LOT of basses for sale within a few hours drive of you, many among private sellers that won't be advertising or in a brick and mortar store. Give us a better idea of what you are looking for and the rice range. Depending upon your budget and skills, a "great carved bass" could be a $2500 Shen or a $35k Prescott- quite a difference!

j.

8. Heifetzbass

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    James,

If you find a Prescott for 35K- you let me know!!!:hyper:

That's a great price!
    BG

9. A step up from a student bass ideal for orchestral playing and solo work pricing from 5k to 10k.

10. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Brian:

Do you want it working, or can it be in pieces all stuffed into a hockey dufflebag?

'Headed your way next month; might have to get in a little social call....

j.

11. Heifetzbass

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    I am not picky...

Sounds good... let me know.
    BG

12. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

Mar 12, 2005
    North Carolina
    Bassmanevans95 you have a private message.

13. jtl1380

jtl1380

Oct 12, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    +1 for the Bass Violin Shop in Greensboro. It's been a while since I lived in that neck of the woods, but they were always a great shop...and hey, while you're in Greensboro you can also stop by Keith Roscoe's shop if you're an electric player as well.

Sounds like a good day to me!

14. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Just came across a new place in VA. I know it's a bit of a hike, but I found some nice basses in this place called Brobst Violins in Alexandria that a friend took me to. If you want to travel a bit, come out to Cincinnati to the Bass Cellar or here in Nashville to Williams Violins. Good knowledgable folks and some quality stuff.

Ike

15. Heifetzbass

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Bought my first "real" bass at Brobst. Great shop, good people. Also a 9 hour drive from Columbia.

There are plenty of basses for sale around here, and within a 3 hour drive from Columbia.

BG

16. Old Joe

Old Joe Guest

Apr 22, 2011
    Excellent. I was about to ask the OPs question myself. Recent information too.

The search function works! :)

17. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you're going to Virginia, you might visit Thomas Wolf in The Plains - he makes some great basses (ISB winners) and has some pretty good basses in your price range:

Lowstrings.com

Louis

18. thanks for the info had i known about it last summer when i went to washington d.c. i wouldve went. it may be awhile before i go that way again so i might have a bass before then.

19. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Bass Violin Shop in Greensboro, NC. Pretty much every bassist here in Asheville makes the drive to have Bob work on their DB's. I bought my carved-top bass from Bob in 2003 and it's been an amazing instrument from day one. His setups and his service are the best around.