1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

music stores

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheArchfiend, Jan 8, 2012.

1. TheArchfiend

TheArchfiend

Nov 3, 2011
    i live in indiana. in my town we have 1 music store. its not a bad store but what gets me is the selection they dont have many basses. but that isnt the problem. they only sell fender and peavey stuff which is fine but i want more selection. i have been to music stores around indiana and recently i went to a guitar center in indy. since its a hour drive. i have never been there before. i walk in and they had a very large amount of good basses. all i have to say is that music stores need to stop this exclusive dealers crap. frankly, limiting your stuff to 2 brands is the stupidest thing you can do. why is it like this.

2. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    My guess is that if there is only one music store in town it's "general purpose" in that it has to cater to everyone - guitars, basses, piano, drums, violins, brass, etc. Inventory costs money and it makes perfect sense to carry only a couple of popular brands of each. Even boutique stores that focus on bass or guitar often have to limit themselves to a few brands, especially if they feature high-end gear. Again, inventory costs money.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Count your blessings. My nearest store is a 3 1/2 hour drive. Plus, I play unlined fretless, so there is usually zero to one hanging even in the GC. They need to stop this exclusive fretted bass crap. ;)

4. I'm very lucky in that we have about 10 music stores within a 40 mile radius, GC included (yuk!). We are Fortunate to have Parkway Music only 6 miles away, they STOCK Rickenbacker, Fender, Modulus and many others. Great amp section (Boogie, Ampeg, Genz, SWR, etc.). My thing is: for almost every band w/ a guitar player there must be a bassist, right? Then why 100 guitars and only 5 basses at some bad shops?? Sorry for your woes

5. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    I frequent Guitar Center, there are two near by, ( 1/2 Hour ) and I have seen these stores go from having EVERY THING, Not only on display to try but new in the box if Ya wanted it, to Barely having anything .. The stores are not buying merchandise to sit on the shelves anymore, they probably cant afford too.. or so Im told..

6. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Also, it's good to remember that Guitar Center isn't just a music store, it's a major corporation with stores and warehouses across the country, not to mention owning MusiciansFriend, Music 123, etc.

If you are the sole owner of a local music store the cost of keeping on the lights, paying the rent, and carrying inventory is completely on your shoulders.

7. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    That is very true, Thats why I find it Odd that you cant get anything new in a box hardly anymore at GC.. and of course Im speaking of much larger items like Guitars, basses, some amps Etc..

8. streetknight

streetknight

May 27, 2011
    You have to consider what the smaller non chain stores have to deal with. My local shop is great and will usually even beat GC or MF price on what he has in stock. Does he stock as many brands, no. Reason most shops don't is because they have to "buy in" the brand. They can't just call up say Schecter and order a couple guitars and basses. They have a buy in fee which varies by manufacturer. He told me Schecter was $5k for example. He has to buy that much up front to sell a new brand, after the first year they will not make them buy it all at once. So, if Schecter cost that much, think about what MM, Gibson, Rickenbacker, etc would cost.

9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    When a dealer signs a franchise with a manufacturer, they agree to buy a minimum amount as an opening order and in subsequent years. Sometimes, these minimums cause the dealer to commit too many inventory dollars to that one brand and it keeps them from signing on with other brands or carrying items that could keep them in business. Also, and if you were to think about this as if you were the manufacturer, you want to limit the exposure of your products to competing products- there's always a brand that offers things your company can't/doesn't and if their lineup is exceptionally strong, your products may not sell very well.

A store can't sell all brands- if it's a mom & pop store in a small town, they just can't afford to stock everything and if they're part of a chain, they pay an incredible amount of attention to what sells/what doesn't and what provides the most profit.

10. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Manufactures by-ins are expensive which is why small shops only carry a few brands. You have to commit to buying X amount of merchandise every year. So if you have to buy $10,000 a year but only sell $7500 of it the next year your still obligated to buy another $10k

11. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Usually when I cannot find what I am looking for in my local Ma and Pa music store or Guitar Center I then turn to online methods (GuitarCenter.com, MusiciansFriend, eBay) and sometimes vice versa.

12. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Hopefully you went to the GC in Castleton, IN. That's the best GC EVER!!!!! At least if it hasn't changed in the last 3 or 4 years. A big selection of new basses and a wonderful used section, including many boutique's.

13. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    +1. That's why retail is such a tough business. Another industry altogether, but my next door neighbor owns a car dealership. Because of his commitments to purchase autos from the manufacturers, pay salaries, rents, etc. it cost him $345,000 per month just to open the doors.

Imagine owning a small shop and feeling the pressure to sell $4k-$5k per month just to stay in business, never mind earning an income. That's why there are two local music shops closing their doors in my neck of the woods.

14. streetknight

streetknight

May 27, 2011
    I've bought a lot of gear over the years, I love buying from my local ma and pa shops cause they treat me right. I have bought a lot from GC and online also. Never hurts to shop around.

15. Pillgrimm13

Pillgrimm13

Sep 29, 2009
    queensbury ny
    parkway is a great store, lots of good deals and great selection especially of used gear. but most of the other stores in our area dont have a good bass selection unless you like fender or ibanez exclusively. the thing that gets my blood boiling is musicians friend and the ams cataloge have maybe 2 pages of basses, they have more pages for just fender guitars than they advertise basses and its the same fender basses in every issue. also they dont show much bass equipment maybe 1 page.

16. sanray

sanray

Nov 8, 2005
    I work at a ma and pa shop. He gets almost all his gear from his distributor who owns a house brand called Austin guitars. He will take in trades and things from others but it's too expensive to try and vary products when he may never sell them.

17. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Its tough owning any legit business. Taxes and insurance alone will kill your profit.

18. Guess I'm lucky, we have many music stores with Fender, G & L, Lakland, Peavy, Ibanez, Dean, and various other brands from time to time. That's excluding our local GC which usually has a nice selection of Musicman Basses, along with the usual Fender, Epiphone, Gibson, and a mixture of low-end and high-end basses.

19. What part of Indiana are you in?

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There are a lot of reasons why. Some manufacturers require dealers to stock a minimum number of products and may even specify models that must be carried. Another is that the dealer must pay for the instruments up front. That's a lot of capital to have hanging on the wall. Small dealers may not have enough money to bring in certain brands. Another is that some brands won't sell to small dealers.

Big chains like Guitar Barn have a lot more clout with manufacturers because of the volume they do. They can get lower wholesale prices than small-volume dealers.