Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music styles

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BDC, Jan 19, 2001.

1. I was jamming with the guys the other night and we started talking about how much differant the music we write and like to play is compared to what we like to listen too. Most of us listen to Metal or Hard Rock but the music we like to play is usually a lot lighter. Anyone here notice the same about themselves?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Actually, I had a similar experience in my first band, some twelve years ago, when I lived in Brazil. Each band member had a different music taste, sometimes being complete opposites. The lead guitarist was into Guns n' Roses, Poison, Whitesnake, etc While I was heavy into the Beatles, Bossa Nova and Brazilian Jazz and Rock. I think I was the only one who listened to classical music regularly too. The Rhythm guitarist was into U2 and other pop bands, while our vocalist was into jazz and blues. Our drummer, well, he was 13 years old and the lead guitarist's cousin.

Actually,come to think of it, we were all into the Beatles, so we must have unconsciously asccepted them as a high common denominator for our sound.

Anyway, despite all those differences, we, as a band had a sound of our own, with each player's idiosyncratic musical preference rearing its head here and there. Our tunes also reflected that, as we wrote Heavy rocking numbers, ballads (we had two. Girlfriens do influence how tunes come out) and even a really funky number, courtesy of yours truly.

Anyway, the fact that your band doesn't sound like the bands you're listening to is a positive thing. It means you're using your influences as a framework without copying them entirely.

Will C.:cool:

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah...I like hard rock/metal, and I find myself playing a super hocked up jazz/funk type of thing. I think it's because ultimately, it's more challenging and fun to play lighter than to just thunder awawy on the E-string along with power chords.

4. Yes, good thread :) It really is interesting, isn't it?

I have a diverse CD collection, but generally like rock. My favorite bands include Rush, Yes, U2, Dire Straits, the Police, INXS, Tower of Power, etc. Yet, my music so far (I'm a one-man band project) has been more ambient/rock almost. My songs "Traveler" and "Walking With the Angels" are pretty different from each other, but both have a certain ethereal element that's becoming a part of my style. So far, this is just the stuff that happens to come out of me. I've got some funk stuff on deck that I might record and post as a different 'band' name, but my name will still be on it, as opposed to being "The Artist formerly known as Entry Level" :D

Dan's MP3 site; have a listen :)
    http://www.mp3.com/entrylevel