Music systems at home

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick Bassman, Jan 23, 2004.

1. After seeing Jazzbo's thread regarding home stereo I thought it might be fun to see what everyone uses for listening to music at home.

It's time for the closet audiophiles to step forward and describe your systems !!

I'll kick it off with my equipment list.

Wadia CD Transport.

Perpetual Technologies Upsampler and DAC combination.

Papworth TVA10 Single ended valve amplifier

Avantgarde Uno speakers.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone uses.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Harmon Kardon A/V receiver
    Kenwood dual cassette deck
    RCA DVD player(use for playing CDs)
    Technics turntable
    Mismatched speakers, but nice Yamaha sub. I will work on speakers after I get my new...

Mitsubishi 48" HDTV, which is arriving tomorrow(not really music, but it's all related;))

Other related stuff:

Pioneer Laserdisc player
    JVC SVHS hifi vcr

I am an audiophile wannabe at heart, but can't afford to be one.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Technics 5.1 receiver
    2 Celestion 100 watt, 8" bookshelves
    1 RCA CD changer(very cheap)
    1 iPod(20 GB)
    1 Stanton Str8-100 direct drive, manual Turntable
    1 iMac(since I got my powerbook, storing music is all the iMac is good for)

And I got a Technics Tape deck that isn't hooked up, and hasn't been for a long tim :)

that's it, I've had the same stuff for about 3 years now(sans iPod) and it's always sounded great!
  4. embellisher

5. Seeing the Nakamichi name reminds of the heady days when I owned a Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck.

What a machine !!

We don't see much of Polk over here but they've been getting some good reviews recently haven't they ?

I must post pics of my speakers for those who haven't seen Avantgardes.
  6. embellisher

The Dragon! What a machine indeed!

Did anybody ever make a better deck?
  7. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I have a very old Realistic receiver (sounds so much better than a Kenwood I have)
    Pioneer speakers S-G300-K 10" sub 3" tweeter and a high horn
    200 CD changer from Sony CDP EX 230
    a old Kenwood EQ
  8. If they did I never found it !!
    It was a beast for sure.
  9. embellisher

My old Realistic sounded better than my old Kenwood, too.

The Realistic lasted 11 years. The Kenwood lasted 4.:spit:

My Kenwood cassette deck is actually very good, but I will never buy another Kenwood product.
  10. And they call that progress !!
    I've never been able to equal my old vinyl system.
  11. For those interested and apologies for the quality.

This is my amp built here in the UK.
  12. and this is one of my speakers. I have two ............honest. They are made in Germany.
  13. i have a very UK system (except for my DVD player):

pioneer ELITE DV-47Ai DVD-V/SACD/DVD-A/CD/.mp3 player
    Rotel RA-02 integrated amplifier (made in UK)
    B&W CDM-7 loudspeakers (made in UK)
    B&W ASW650 subwoofer (made in UK)

if i really wanted to be audiophile i'd tell you all about my interconnect and speaker cables, and about my power conditioner. but really, why?

i have a 20" sony TV that i got for free. i love it and won't replace it until TV goes 100% HD.

i love my system. i went to a hi-fi shop in libertyville, IL and realized it's just about respectable in the absolute audiophile sense. it's incredible in the general consumer sense, however, and it gives me great joy.

14. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Whats really sad is how "bad" the Kenwood tuner was at getting a good reseption from a radio station.

The old Realistic will pull in stations from over 70 miles away.
  15. Well I think it's interesting.

Sounds like you have a nice system there.
  16. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Boss CD-GT1
    Beringer 12 Channel Mixer
    Qsc RMX 1450 Bridged Mono
    Hartke 410

it's not perfect, but that's how listen to my CD's in my practice room along with running my Synth modules, keyboard, Basses and computer (Band in a Box)
  17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Word to that!

My brother SWEARS by Kenwood, and I've tried to get him to see the light (or at least away from the darkness that is Kenwood!). Oh well--he'll learn the hard way one of these days :(
  18. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yamaha RX385 reciever/Tuner.
    Akai CDM444 CD player.
    Pioneer CTW202 Double Cassete Deck.

All old gear now but still going strong as good gear should.

Speakers are Home made 2x10 sub. Also home made bookshelf, 5 litres with 4" speaker and 1" silk dome tweet. Both are prototypes which I'm now happy with, so a few more bookshelves will be built when time permits. The plan is to build 5, then make the sub active and buy a 5.1 reciever/amp.
  19. embellisher

The CR 1A kicks ass, too. I wouldn't mind having one of those.
  20. i sold hi-fi for six months, and by the end of it, was using the employee purchase plan liberally. i bought everything for pretty much half of retail.

the cables were even cheaper. i think i spent $100 total, and i got a pair of audioquest type 4 double bi-wire speaker cables, a copperhead 4m sub cable, 1m diamondback cables, 2m 1/4" to RCA diamondback cables for connection from sound card to integrated, 1/4" to 1/4" viper 1m cables for mic pre to sound card, and VSD-2 all silver digital coax cable. i also have a 2m ixos s-video cable.

i am really pleased with the incredible detail and natural voice of my system -- i guess i really like the relaxed, british hi-fi sound. i would like to upgrade to a nicer amp and put the rotel in the kitchen with a pair of paradigm titans. that would be sweet.

i would also like to go 6.1 or 7.1, but my (fully paid for) speakers are already beyond my income, so buying a bunch of new ones pretty much won't happen. bummer.