Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music than lyrics?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Dec 28, 2000.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    I have written a couple of songs. And i was wondering as we haven't put any music to them yet, should i go about my next songs differently. I.e. that we do the music first then we put words to it, or should i carry on with doing the lyrics then putting the music to it? i am at a loss

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I have the opposite. I have about 5 or 6 song structured with verses, choruses, bridges, melodies and vocal harmonies, but no lyrics. I'll get around to them when I have time. There's no hard and fast rule regarding how a song is written.Whatever works for you.

Will C.:cool:

3. Primus (My gods) seem to write wierd, nonsensical lyrics, but their music kicks some definite @$$. I'd say you pretty much HAVE to make good music, or else no one will want to listen to you.

4. What Will said...

For me, I come up with music first, then write lyrics to 'fit'.

From what I know of the artists I like, a lot of them come up with the music first.

5. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Why bother with lyrics, anyway? ;)

6. Lol furtim. I always liked funny/wierd/ lyrics (ex. Primus, not LFO type s**t). The type of 'angst' lyrics are gay in my opinion. Funny lyrics appeal to pretty much everyone, angst lyrics don't. Your choice. Oh yea, ryhming lyrics are cool :) Did I spell ryhming right?

7. Nope. It's "rhyming." :D :D :D

You must be a big Weird Al fan, too, eh? ;)

8. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    As long as your lyrics aren't stupid. ;)

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Like "Watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow"?:D

Will C.:cool:

10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I have never written a song, nor have I attempted to write a song. However, I think that the music is definitely the most important part MOST OF THE TIME. Now some songs are written to be based on and centered around the lyrics (one that comes to mind is Creed - With Arms Wide Open...mostly the lyrics that matter in that song). But mostly it's the music that appeals to me and most other people.

11. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Yes, that's a good example of a stupid lyric. :D

12. <i>Why bother with lyrics, anyway?</i>

It seems to me that lyrics are there to compensate for a lack of music. Take most lyrics out of a song and all is left is bones, absolutely no meat.

13. Anyone ever hear of Rush? They are this great band that had both fantastic lyrics and fantastic music. Or The Who, Dire Straits, Yes, Jimi Hendrix? :rolleyes:

I think you guys might be over-generalizing a tad. As a beginning songwriter, I too, prefer to write instrumentals, but they aren't necessarily that much easier than songs with lyrics, to me. When I wrote my song, "Traveler" ( http://www.mp3.com/entrylevel ), I got to the point with it where I was deciding whether or not to add lyrics. I wrote some for it, but I simply could not find a melody that would work, and it wound up sounding 'forced', so I said screw the lyrics, this will be an instrumental. I fired up the keyboard, dialed up a choir, and came up with melody/harmony line you hear in the song, instead of lyrics. I am very pleased with how it turned out.

My next song, "Walking With the Angels" was designed from the ground-up to be a song with lyrics, so it DOES have a slightly different arrangement to accommodate that part, and it still sounds ok as an instrumental, but it makes more sense with the singing. I have a new song on deck that I would like to make an instrumental...we'll see how it winds up ;)

14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I vaguely recall having read somewhere that it is much easier to write lyrics for music than it is to write music for lyrics. That is not to say that sometimes it happens one way and sometimes the other, but I think I can understand why it would be easier to come up with a song first, then base the lyrics on the mood, tempo, feel, and rhythm of the song, than the other way around. In fact, in the one band I was in that played purely original music, we did develop the music first, then the title, then the lyrics.

Jason Oldsted

15. Yes, I agree completely, Jason. The process you described is exactly how my song "Walking With the Angels" came to be.