Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music that sounds like drugs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    :D

Yeah. Alright, one of my favorite elements of music is the "trippy" factor. My singer from my band described it as "Music that is enhanced by drugs," which makes sense, but I don't do drugs.

Here's a little story, I was taking my dog for a walk, and I was listening to the best of the Doors... this was a few years ago, and they were pretty new to me. I walked for an hour and it felt like 20 minutes. It was a very trippy experience. It's somewhat unrelated, but it is music that you are able to lose yourself in the ambience of it all, but the music has movement as well (rockoutability).

Lets list some of the obvious shall we? Stuff that I know of...
    - Hawkwind!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    - Early Pink Floyd
    - Jefferson Airplane
    - The Doors
    - Cream (sometimes)
    - Early Monster Magnet (some new stuff too)
    - We the People
    - Comets on Fire

I know there is much more than this that even I know of. But I think you know what I'm looking for.

Note: This is not another "Stoner Rock" thread. Stoner Rock, more often than not is just fuzzed out groovin' riffs. Kyuss usually isn't trippy (they are sometimes)... Fu Manchu... songs about cars don't trip me out.. etc etc. But if there are some stoner rock bands that are ultra trippy, feel free to list them.

I wanna get high on music... and maybe drugs... but mostly music. ;)

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor puts me in the kind of mood that you are refering to. Refer. huh.

Especially when I am tired or when I listen to them late at night.

3. Definitely Hawkwind's Space Ritual, Sonic attack is like mind control!

Captain Beyond's self-titled album in it's full form can trip me out pretty good.

and some more:
    Iron Butterfly
    some Vanilla Fudge
    Miasma and the Carousel of Headless Horses
    Zeni Geva is sooo trippy that if your tripping when you listen to Them you might die

13th Floor Elevators
    Yeti
    Dark Fog
    Liquid Visions
    The Beatles White Album is pretty trippy
    Any raga like Ravi Shankar is pretty Trippy
    Poseioditca
    Ufomammut
    And The Jack Bruce/John Mclaughlin album "Things We Like" is so friggin wild it'll trip you out.

Thats all I can think of right now.

4. Also Pangea, Dark Magus by Miles Davis

and anything by Sun Ra

oh and the MC5's debut album Kick Out the Jams.

5. I remembered some more:

Marvin Gaye's What's goin on album, it's like a happy , religious trip.

Beach Boy's 1972 album Surf's Up , despite it's happy sounding name it's actually very dark , brooding , and drugged up with acid guitars and drifty synths. Not like beach boys at all.

Neil Young's Time Fades Away album - It's a live show where the crowd came expecting his folk stuff and Neil came out sad and drunk on tequila and with new songs. Instead of gentle acoustic guitars, the crowd got a tempest of electric fire breathing guitars that will warp your mind at max volume.

6. jetsetvet

jetsetvet Banned

Mar 24, 2005
    "Gin & Tonic" by the Reverend Horton Heat is about as accurate a conversion of a drug into a song, as I have heard. Not trippy, just slobbin' drunk.

7. Sonic Youth
    My Bloody Valentine

That's pretty much it. Loveless must be listened to at least once with decent headphones and cranked.

8. Oh and how could I forget THE TRIPPY album :

The C.A. Quintet - Trip Thru Hell
    An amazing album if you can find it. The title explains the album. The perfect doom/psychedelic album, years ahead of it's time in the late 60s. On my vinyl version , some guy is credited under the bandmembers for playing the "bloodcurdling scream" .

In case you can't tell this is my favorite type of music!!!

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I neeeeeeeed to find a copy of this!!! :D

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Good call on My Bloody Valentine, Harry. My singer loves them and said they sound like being in a dream. I'm checkin' them out fo sho.

I'm going to look into all of this cool stuff.

11. If you have a record player hit up Ebay, good luck finding it on CD

12. Noone's mentioned The Mars Volta. So good and very weird.

13. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Happiness is a Warm Gun
    A Day in the Life
    Tomorrow Never Knows
    I'm Only Sleeping
    Those are all Beatles tunes and pretty trippy.

You could also try the following bands if you think you could find their album
    Fortunes of Vice
    Gut Logic
    Jesus Penis
    Pleasure Center

Those are all trippy/industrial type stuff

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Lets just say I found... someone who will give it to me for free...

bassbmx reminded me of something I forgot to note: If the band you think to mention is one of the current number one selling bands in the world... odds are I've heard of them. So don't bother telling me about Tool, Mars Volta, or Radiohead. I know they exsist. Not to sound like a jerk, but everyone between the ages of 12 and 40 have heard the Mars Volta, they're OK.

15. Yes, I love them soo much. :D I think Frances the Mute would be a great "trippy" album for this thread.

16. Beach boys "Smiley Smile"
    Beatles "sgr pepper, Magical Mystery Tour" ("STRAWBERRY FIELDS" PEOPLE! HOW COULD WE FORGET THAT???!)
    Captain Beefheart "Trout Mask Replica"/"Lick My Decals Off, Baby"

17. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Some of the Bevis Frond albums have had that "what have I been doing for the last hour?" effect on me. What Did For The Dinosaurs is pretty amazing. But it changes gears a lot so i wouldn't call it "trance like".

Miles Davis: In A Silent Way

And the Laswell "Radioaxiom" stuff is very high up on my "music to trance out to" list.

18. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    my former drummer swears that "kid a" by radiohead is the musical equivalent of ecstasy.

...and...well, i'd be wise to take his word for it.

19. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    B-Tribe (Spiritual Spiritual) has that trippy-mystical feel to it - if you listen to it enough, you can have an out-of-body experience.

20. hmmm. truly surprised no one has mentionned Spiritualized. The Pure Phase album,absolutely...as is some parts of Floating in Space.

Or galaxie 500, their precursor.

or early Verve. Some Dandy Warhols, definitely.