1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music Theater Bassists

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassChuck, Jul 23, 2012.

1. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Has anyone played the show, "Legally Blonde"? Any words of wisdom? Observations? Got any PDF's of the bass part?

thanks

2. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    I just finished a two week (14 show) run. The book itself isn't that bad, and has some cool grooves in it. Funniest part is that it calls for FOUR basses; electric, electric 5 string, fretless and upright. You can easily knock it down to two basses (electric 5 and upright), since the fretless is only on two songs. I ended up playing the whole thing on electric and thumb muting the upright stuff.

You can check out the entire show on YouTube to get a feel of it.

The biggest thing is that there are SO MANY stops and starts; a lot of the songs have dialogue interwoven into them, more so than any other show I've done (and I've played a couple). It also has lots of drum kicks and hits and crazy tempo changes at the drop of a pin. I found that I had to watch the MD more than I have in other shows; many times with simpler musicals, I can get by with having them in my peripheral vision but not with that show.

All in all, it's pretty fun. I'm playing a second run of it at the local Civic theatre in September, so it will be interesting to compare/contrast how both of my runs went.

3. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Thanks. Good info.

4. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I was just asked if I'd be willing to fill in for a night on this show in about a week. Never seen or heard the music (well, I did find a live Broadway show of it on Youtube, per the above suggestion -- thanks!). Doesn't look like I'd be able to get the music to practice. If anyone's got a copy of at least some of it -- or could point me to it -- or had any other words of wisdom, I'd appreciate it!

(I like the Ives quote in your sig, BassChuck, btw: "Never confuse beauty with things that put your mind at ease.")