1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Theory books

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Kamael83, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Hello!
    I`m a beginner if we are talking about bass (about half a year so far every day:))but what i`m doing at the moment when i`m playing ...is basically playing from tabs, songs i like.
    I`m starting to be annoyed by my lack of knowledge about music theory. First book I`ve got was bass for dummies IMO and i read it couple of times...but this book is way to shallow (although helped when I opened the box with bass inside for the first time)...
    Anyway my question is: do you know any good books about music theory that would help me to learn the very basics and more :)
    thank you

2. I just saw sticky about music theory it is great!!
    But still if you know any good books about it or / and exercises that would help memorizing scale patterns and notes in them ...I will be happy to listen to your advices :)

3. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    In addition to book study, keyboard music theory sessions could help put in all together. Good luck ..............:cool:

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    I'm surprised that the "Dummies" book did not fulfill your wish to learn "the very basics and more." It certainly did so for me when I was starting out. There are lots of exercises in it on scale patterns etc. Perhaps you should take another look through it ? :)

This book gets great recommendations around here.

edly's | eBay

A great web site that you should check out is : Online Bass Lessons at StudyBass.com

5. I will go through it again...It`s hard for me to explain what i want..haha...I would like to learn about dependecies between notes...why one note fits another and other are not...how to find a scale that song is in and how to move around in that scale without...hurting my ears :) and yes I know there is plenty of articles etc...but these are (although great) only pieces of the puzzle...what i would love to have : is a book no matter how thick :) that will contain them all....probably it sounds silly :(

6. I`m able to play most of what i can think of ( i mean easy stuff, not too fast...bob marley, sting, sade, etc...) but only by TABS...and I`m getting tired of this...i mean i would like to learn something new....instead of playing along to tabs on the web....hope you understand what i mean...i mean i still love it and all...but id like to learn some more....theoretical / technical stuff ...and i dont know how and where to start

7. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
  8. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Maybe dig around in this site. It has basic theory and scales and presents theory related to performance in a straight forward way.

Online Bass Lessons at StudyBass.com

I've read some theory books and could recommend them, but they don't really pertain to bass playing and writing/playing bass lines. I don't know of a theory book specifically tailored to a bassist's needs. "Dummies' has some good very basic beginning theory, but not very deep as you say.

Advanced theory is more about harmony and the analysis of progressions where you learn to lead every note in a chord smoothly into next chord. Interesting and useful, but a little overkill for writing and playing bass lines.

You may want to consider taking a Theory class at a local college or arts school. It's more easily learned in a class where you can have discussions and some back and forth between students and teacher.

You can check these out, but they are all encompassing.
    Harmony Piston
    Jazz Theory Levine
    Counterpoint Keenan

9. Yes..i`m seriously considering taking music theory classes from the new year as well as bass classes :) Thanks for advices...I`m just about to order some of those books you talked about :)

10. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Simply the best for people in your situation is Edly's Music Theory for Practical People. I love this book, and wish it had been around when I was teaching full-time. It's a clearly written and logical development of theory without sounding academic or stuffy. It's full of diagrams similar to what I used to use in the '80s (except his are legible and mine often weren't). I love it because

A. It's built in a logical order that allows you to actually LEARN theory as music
    B. It doesn't assume that the only music that exists is either Western classical music or jazz. He uses examples from all over the map (and good bit of the world) to demonstrate.
    C. It doesn't assume you know how to play keyboards
    D. It doesn't limit itself to treble-clef instruments, and discusses bass function
    E. It doesn't assume you know how to read music, but he also makes a good case for learning the basics of the language of music.
    F. It's written in a light-hearted and humorous manner without being silly, childish, or lame.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!
    Play, Learn, Music, theory, instruction, books, piano

John

11. Hello,
    I am an independent music theorist who has recently published on Amazon Kindle his last book on musical time, in English language:

Amazon.com: The music of the Temporalists eBook: André Pogoriloffsky: Kindle Store

Now I try to promote it and was advised to contact various music-related communities, like yours, whose members might be interested in this subject.

Thank you for your time,
    Andrei Covaciu-Pogorilowski

Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-music-of-the-Temporalists/307722055926158

Attached Files: