music theory books

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by terzian, May 12, 2012.

1. terzian

terzian

Dec 6, 2011
    South Wales
    hi there Anthony

I really want to make sure that i have a complete, well rounded knowledge of music theory. Can you recommend any books? Especially anything on applied theory.

Thanks

Terzian

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    I recommend some books on my Bassology website. I'm gonna' update that list next week. I'm gonna' add some and take some down. But the theory books will stay up with more added. But Harmony & Theory by Wyatt and Schroeder. I also live Edly's Guide to Theory for Practical People.

people.

3. terzian

terzian

Dec 6, 2011
    South Wales
    Hi Anthony

Thats brilliant. I will order them now. Thanks for taking the time to come back to me.

Regards

Terzian

4. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Anytime!

5. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    I bought the Harmony and Theory book and love it.

If you buy that book I suggest also getting a book of blank staff paper. You can complete the exercises on the staff paper. That way you can revisit the exercises over again and not have the answers in front of you.

Just my unsolicited advice. :)

6. somecallmejosh

somecallmejosh

Dec 2, 2009
  7. somecallmejosh

somecallmejosh

Dec 2, 2009
    Sorry for the repeat. Screwy phone... Sheesh.

8. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Jan 3, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Edly's Music Theory for Practical People is awesome. It's a great way to hang around with a piano. The little animal/monster drawings are cute too.

Anybody remember those David Macaulay picture books like "The Way Things Work" that illustrate mechanical things using wooly mammoths as a theme? What a great book for a kid that likes taking things apart...

9. oldschoolkyle

oldschoolkyle

May 2, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses, Mesa Boogie Amps & Cabinets, EMG Pickups
    I just ordered Harmony and Theory... wish me luck! :)

10. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Cool. I love that theory book.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021