Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Theory class in college, help me get good "music" job?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by PollyBass, Dec 20, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    My parents think that learning something in college and not being able to get a good job out of it it stupid,,, but someone told me in another thread i started, "Unless, that is, you plan on making a career out of the bass?" (it was spankbass, i belive). How and in what areas could going and learning theory at college help me in the "Job" world? I mean, i could think of a few. but lay some down for me. Any thoughts are also welcome.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The only real way that learning theory in college will ever help you get a job is if you want to teach music in college. For that, you need a music degree. And for that, you'll need to take a lot of theory.

Aside from that, the best way to get a job in music is to be very good at what you do and act like a responsible, reliable adult when dealing with professional matters. If you can do that, it won't matter if you have a degree outside of teaching.

3. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    PollyBass,
    Since I live in the same area as you I guess I could comment on this, since I attend ULM and I am majoring in music, so therefore I am taking music theory classes. It depends on what you want to get out of your musical career. Even if you minor in music, you're required to take the music theory class. And yes, I think you'll find it very helpful in your bass playing and overall musical knowledge. If you're trying to decide between ULM and La. Tech I'd definitely go to ULM because I tend to think their music program is a little better. Along with the theory you'll be learning, you'll also take an ear-training course, where you will learn to discern intervals and qualities of scales and chords. Also you'd benefit from private lessons, to learn more about how the theory actually applies to the bass, unfortunately neither Tech nor ULM have a bass instructor, but I can reccomend my teacher highly, just PM me if you need his number and contact info.

Dirk

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Tech now also has an ear training crouse in their theory class. I wanted to go to tech because it sounded like their program started "Basic".... And thats what i need. Private lessons sound very interesting.....I had no idea that their was a bass instructor in NorthEast LA. I would go to ULM, but as i said before, i think it started more basic, and one of my best friends, and drummer, is going to tech as well. I'll check ULM out though. Thanks for the help... i really needed this.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I'm sorry i don't think i bortherd to mention that i'm only taking this one class in college, under "Extending Education". I just want to know everything i can as a MUSICIAN. I'm a bassist of course. but bassist's are musicians to!

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Music Theory class does not start till the fall, so a private teacher might be what the doctor ordered... hey dirk, check your box.....