Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Theory/General Instruction Links and Book List

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    (Last updated on 9/05/02)

This thread began as a copy of a thread originating in DB Miscellaneous. The original thread was created for the purpose of providing access to music theory information already discussed in depth, and to avoid duplicate postings when possible. Please feel free to respond to any existing threads. Be aware that if you respond to a thread that was started on the Double Bass side of the forum, your post will be primarily viewed by a bunch of curmudgeonly Double Bassists who are perpetually cranky because they have to carry an instrument the size of a canoe around to each gig. Not only that, but a lot of these guys are already old to begin with, which affects not only their general demeanor but also their sense of humor. Generally, they are harmless, but may not always seem that way at first. Try not to be too offended if they seem unduly weird.

Listed below are a series of topics, and links to previous discussions of same. I'll be adding to this list periodically whenever anyone suggests a new topic that should be covered here. For the sake of housekeeping and cleanliness, I'll be keeping this thread locked and stuck to the top of the forum: so if you have any suggestions or links to send me, please notify me by PM.

NEWBIES: the purpose of this thread is not to discourage posting by new members, but rather to encourage informed posting by new members. Feel free to respond to any of these older threads - if you do, they'll get bumped back to the top and become open discussions again in case you have any questions or anything to add. You are of course also always welcome to start a new thread in any of the forums. Welcome to Talkbass!

N.B. - the links for the MISC forum is the thread I've been dreading trying to figure out how to organize. Since I don't really have any better ideas at the moment, I'll start with some theory links. Special thanks to jazzbo for sending a bunch my way.

(WARNING! Some of these theory links originated in the dreaded BG forums, where FiElDy RuLeZ and smilies run rampant. I'll attempt to differentiate between threads that are clearly BG oriented, and those that are more general in nature so that all of the DB snobs can peruse the links knowingly and thereby avoid those threads marked "BG" if they're afraid of getting hit by a stray freshly-named strap or getting nailed with a KoRn tattoo. If you are one of these people, read all threads marked PLANK at your own risk)

Theory Topics

Introduction to Chord/Scale Theory, by Jazzbo(article)

Introduction to Walking Bass, by Chris Fitzgerald

Previous Music Theory Discussion Threads

Blue Notes (General)

Chords/Scales

Diminished Chords/Scales (BG)

Getting Started on BG

Girl From Ipanema

Improvisation vs. "Planned" playing

Intervals (BG)

Learning Songs by Ear (BG)

Lessons vs. Self Taught

Melodic Soloing and Blanket Scales

Melody over Repetitive Chord Structures

Minor Scale Options for Soloing

Mixolydian Newbie Question

Modes in Minor Keys

Previous Musical Experience

Scales/Modes: What's the Difference? (BG)

Scale Practice Method (by Pacman)

Time Signature Question: 12/8

Tonal Centers and Modes (BG)

Transcribing Chord Progressions(General) (bad link)

Transcribing Basslines to Standards

Transcription thread (Bassybill's thread - no commercially available stuff)

Tritone Substitution

Walking Lines

Walking Lines: Chord vs. Key

Walking Lines Theory Question

Walking: Uptempo

Walking Lines: Embellishing

Other Theory and/or Bass-related Sites

Fretboard/Note printer

www.activebass.com

www.musictheory.net

http://www.studybass.com/

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Music Theory&btnG=Google Search
    (Google Search results)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2014
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Hello everyone,

Fellow TBer YOSHI PM'd me a while back asking if I could add some music book recommendations to the "Theory Links" thread. I said I'd be happy to, but it might be nice to get some more opinions on what books are recommended on which subjects. Here's the majority of the PM he sent me...feel free to add to the list, and after a while we'll get this material added to the "Links" thread:

"Note: list mostly compiled from experience so add further suggestions please.
    Note2: 'ISBN' refers to the UNIQUE 'number code' of the book, use this to order it from your local bookshop or music shop (along with title, author publisher too!).

--Beginner books--
    * Bass for beginners by Glenn Letsch - Hal Leonard - ISBN: 0-7935-6649-5

--Ear Training--
    * Ultimate ear training by Gary Willis - Hal Leonard - ISBN: 0-7935-8156-7

--Techniques--
    Slap:
    * Progressive slap technique by Stephen Richter - Hal Leonard www.learntoplaymusic.com - ISBN: 0-947183-16-7
    * Slap it by Tony Oppenheim www.slapit.com - ISBN: unknown

Tapping:
    * Progressive tapping method by Stephen Richter - Hal Leonard www.learntoplaymusic.com - ISBN: 0-947-183-16-7

--Theory--
    Sclaes:
    * Bass guitar scale manual edited by Harvey Vinson - Amsco publications - ISBN US: 0-8256-4064-4 ISBN UK: 0-7119-0587-8

--Music styles--
    A collection of styles:
    * A dictionary of bass grooves by Sean Malone - Hal Leonard - ISBN: 0-7935-8964-9

Funk:
    * 70's Funk and disco bass by Josquin des Pres - Hal Leonard - ISBN: 0-634-02856-1

Blues:
    * Blues bass licks by Stephan Richter - Hal Leonard - ISBN: 1-875726-44-6

Jazz:
    * Improvising Jazz Bass by Richard Laird - volume 91/music for millions series (this books from 1980 so may be hard to get hold of). ISBN: 0-8256-4091-1
    * The complete electric bassplayer by Chuck Rainy (bks 1-3) Amsco Publications - ISBN (bk2): 0-8256-2426-6 ISBN(bk3): 0-8256-2427-4

Metal:
    * Heavy metal bass guitar method by Stephan Richter - Hal Leonard - ISBN: unknown
    * Heavy metal bass guitar licks bk1 by Stephan Richter - Hal Leonard - ISBN: unknown
    * Heavy metal bass guitar licks bk2 by Stephan Richter - Hal Leonard - ISBN: 0-947183-62-0 "

3. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    -- Sight-Reading --
    * "Note Reading Studies For Bass" by Arnold Evans - Mel Bay - ISBN: 0-7866-0247-3

-- Jazz --
    * "Ray Brown's Bass Method" by Ray Brown - Hal Leonard - ISBN: 0-7935-9456-1

4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I'll come back with the legit info and ISBN numbers later:

I'd guess these would be in the Jazz category:

"The Improvisor's Bass Method" - Chuck Sher

"The Jazz Theory Book" - Mark Levine

"Concepts for Bass Soloing" - Chuck Sher, Mark Johnson

www.shermusic.com

5. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    I really like Ed Friedland's teaching materials. He packs in a lot of information but doesn't overwhelm.

Beginning Jazz -- Building Walking Bass Lines by Ed Friedland ISBN: 0793542049

Slap -- Slap Bass The Ultimate Guide (DVD) by Ed Friedland ISBN: 0634048694

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The single best book on blues bass that I have come across and one I have recommended here countless times is:

Mel Bay's Complete Blues Bass Book by Mike Hiland. ISBN 0-7866-0326-7 $15.00, CD extra.

A second very worthy blues bass book, but less complete than Hiland's is:

Blues Bass Basics by Roscoe Beck (who is presently touring with the Dixie Chicks.) ISBN 1-57623-436-3 $12.95

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Books on the mental aspect of playing music:

Zen Guitar by Philip Toshio Sudo

Unintentional Music by Lane Arye

The Art of Practicing by Madeline Bruser

I'll edit this list later and add further information on these titles.

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Some great books on rhythm -
    Melodic Rhythms for Guitar - William Leavitt
    Funkifying the Clave - Lincoln Goines/Robbie Ameen
    A Rhythmic Vocabulary - Dancing Hands Music

9. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    I've never owned a better bass book than "The Latin Bass Book" by Oscar Stagnaro. Yes, it's a very specific subject, but I've yet to find a book as thorough as it is on any subject. The book is huge and chock full of content. The CDs(3 of them), are fantastic. 90% of what's in the book is on the CDs, and not little 30 second clips either...all of them are around 3 minutes so you can really get into the groove. They're also recorded with real musicians, and damn good ones at that....none of this horrible MIDI stuff. I can listen to these CDs on their own, that's how much the group is grooving. He also includes Carribean styles and a Brazilian section that is big enough to warrant it's own book. Don't be put off by the 35 bucks they charge for this book, it's more than worth it. One note of warning...there's no tab here, which makes room for more music! So you've gotta be able to read.

Also, either of the finger funk workbooks by Anthony Vitti. Same deal, tons of content, and no fluff.

10. sandman_96

sandman_96

Jul 16, 2001
    USA, Oklahoma
    My teacher asked me to look for a book called Left Hand Gymnastics for Bass. I'm not sure if thats the exact title, but its close. I've searched around a little and haven't found anything. Anyone heard of it and know where I could get it?

11. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    I have started with "Bass Guitar for Dummies".

What are the thoughts of the collected wisdom on this work? It surely seems to make sense when it comes to theory (no small feat for me...most music theory makes my head spin....I will learn as much as I can though).

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Joshquin Des Pres - Bass Fitness

13. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    The gig bag book for bass, and the Gig bag book for guitar. Really spells things out for a beginner and shows several techniques scales, appregios, modes, etc. and it teaches in each key and has great charts to really link tab and site reading it contains both.

14. Mchael Manring produced a video (sorry not a book) that is the best £10 I've spent. It has plenty of warm-ups and a routine that has my hand aching.

15. maxy

maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    i have a book of slap bass by stepah richter. I dont think its that good coz i didnt get anywhere by his instructions or maybe its just me.

The thing is when i slap and pop, the last note before the pop gets muted due to side of my hand. Help. Me or the book?

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That'd be your technique, maxy.

I picked up "The Jazz Theory Book" by Mark Levine today...FANTASTIC! So massive, covers a lot of material. It's so good that I don't even care the shop marked it up another $10!

17. LARUMBLE

LARUMBLE

Feb 11, 2005
    I ALSO RECOMMEND BUNNY BURNELLS BOOKS BY HAL LEANARD!!! REALLY GOOD BOOKS.HELP ME CHANGE FROM GUITAR TO BASS :hyper: :hyper:

18. --Scales/Theory
    The Bass Grimoire - Adam Kadmon

19. BassAde

BassAde

Mar 11, 2005
    S-o-T U.K.
    Have a look at the "Bass Bible" by Paul Westwood - ISBN 3-927190-67-5

It covers everything from techniques & styles to theory & grooves. There's over 1000 riffs & exercises with 2 CDs to accompany them.

20. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I don't think anyone mentioned "The evolving Bassist" - Rufus Reid
    It's a great book.