Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

music theory

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by danqi, Jul 21, 2001.

1. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    i've been playing for a few months now and i decided that it is time for me to get into some basic music theory. the problem is that i have no idea which book i should buy. i can't check them out before buying because i am going to have to order a book on the internet since all the music-related stores i know of have only very small assortments of bass-related books. and those which they got consist mostly of playalong exercises. but i want to know about stuff like scales (what they are used for), triads (what that is), etc.
    i don't have a problem with odering english books since i'd judge my english to be sufficient (i'm german).
    could you maybe recommend me some books or is there even something like THE one great book of bass?

thanks,
    orthanc

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Might I also suggest a TalkBass forum called "General Instruction" Where this thread is being moved to.

3. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Don't BUY anything. Checkt he Wheat book that cafepurgatory mentioned. There's plenty of good free stuff around on the InterNet and books are more often than not a big dissapointment/ waste of money.

EDIT: awful grammar and spelling

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Teachers are a great way to go in this area. Especially because it doesn't have to be a bass teacher. Piano teachers often charge less and can teach you lots of theory.

Carrots!

5. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    thanks, especially for that wheat book link. i'm gonna check that out. maybe i'll even get a teacher.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    take theory classes at college.. it will help a bunch... even if you're old.. you can still sign up for some classes.