Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

music theory

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Oct 30, 2001.

1. ok. could someone be so nice as to point me in the direction of a few good things. a nice easy to read serious beginners book for learning music theory, reading music, and some scales,and excersises. i appreciate any help.

2. Libster.com go there read until your eye balls hurt take a break repeat process about 1000 times it goes real slow but you will get it eventually;)

3. Oh yeah welcome to talkbass:D

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Just wanted to say welcome to TB. :)

Seriously though, I think you'll get some feedback on this. I'm not familiar with what are considered the best theory references, but I'm sure some of our members can point you in the right direction.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Welcome to TalkBass.

We could always point you to our "General Instruction" forum.

Check it out.

6. thanks a lot. ive been to libster.com before. i found it on a search engine and haven't been able to find it since. thanks.

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Books are ok, but find yourself a good teacher. Nothing can beat one-on-one instruction.

8. I don't know how old you are but if you can take a music course in school that will make learning theory really easy. Worked for me, plus I'm getting university credit for it!

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
  10. what are you talking about big guy
    :confused:

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Really?

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    AMOEBACHOIR,

Sorry, I forget that you're a newbie...

NOSEBLOW (jazzbo) = vegan who dislikes TAB
    Vegan = Grand Exalted Muncher of TOFU (among other things)

ERGO: JUMBO (again, jazzbo) = TOFU TABEVIL

Absolutely. That took a lot of time and effort, and your presentation kicked a copious amount of LARGE FLAMING BUTTOCK.

You Rock. All Hail.

Regards,

DURRL TABEVIL

13. To learn theory really well requires a REALLY good teacher. My mother has a Masters in Theory from Eastman school of music, so I know how deep it REALLY is.

Take a course at the local community college or music school. My daughter takes a theory class as part of her music education. It is making a big difference in her ability to improvise on the piano.

Later.

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    All in the interest of the art my friend, all for the art.

Now, the "All Hail" moniker belongs solely to Bob. Bob, and Bob alone. A handshake will do me good. ;)

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

A handshake works for me. Considering the way you and Brad Johnson have been... uh....*flirting*, I was afraid to get TOO enthusiastic with my praise so I decided to borrow the ALL HAIL from Bob for a minute rather than risk....."complications", if you get my drift. I must admit that he fact that Brad's initials are,...um,...you know :eek: ....well, that contributed to my reticence a bit.

Anyhoo, nice work.

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Eh, sometimes I rub my eyes and re-read that thread, thinking to myself, if only my technical ability to could catch up with my experience in teaching and instruction.

As for BJ, well JB and BJ have been sharing some sort of, um, camp-type comaraderie, and, well, I don't even think that he knew he was in on the joke, til, well,

Let's just say Brad's a good sport. My misplaced affection may just be some sort of weird acknowledgement of his sarcastic wit.

17. Wow, wasn't it me who invented the "tabevil" thing? Or did I unconsciously steal that? I just might have contributed something to Talkbass, I'm so excited.

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

BATTLESTARGALLACTICARULEZ,

I must give credit where credit is due... you most certainly did NOT create CLAN TABEVIL, but in all fairness, you did name it. The TABEVIL thread was also the first time I got to see SNACKMAN'S silly side, which in itself is a contribution of sorts. Carry on, soldier.

WORKING DURRL