1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

music theory

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by mick pierce, Sep 4, 2008.

1. mick pierce

mick pierce

Aug 31, 2008
    hi could anyone help i have been told that the one page nashville number system is the thing to learn for upright bass, help please i am just starting to play upright bass regards mick

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    That's not accurate, if you're just starting to play upright I would heartily suggest finding a teacher.

3. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va

+1 :smug:

4. I'd say it depends on what type of music you'll be playing and more importantly, where you'll be playing it.

If you're playing country and bluegrass music (and maybe others), especially in Nashville (duh) and around the south, you may be given an NN chart to read. It will be good to know how, no doubt. But to understand that, you'll need a bit of theory. You'll need to know the numerals, that F# is the VI in the key of A, for example.

But you'll more than likely have to deal with traditional notation before it even comes to that.

Forgive me if you have already played another instrument for a while and you know all this. But Nashville numbers apply to any harmonic instrument, not just bass.

And in any case, I 2nd Ed's suggestion to get a teacher. The DB is not a "teach yourself" kind of instrument.