Music theory?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Jan 7, 2003.

1. lets give you the scenario...

playing for a year

teaching myself everything

getting pretty good

moving along quite nicely

no experience with theory whatsoever

getting a teacher isnt an option

and getting past basic scales and reading staffs is scary for me and confusing too. i dont know where to go from here, so of coarse, im turning to you guys for help.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Read all the articles on the front page.......Jazzbo will be along in a minute!! ;)
  3. right now im around the point where i kinda understand the idea pacman is giving in the other thread but i coludnt figure it out if i tried.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

5. whens hes talking about building a scale is that any scale or just that particular one?
  6. he lost me after the major scale in the key of C
  7. deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    hey todd...when Jazzbo posts his link take a look at that....meanwhile I think I know where you're coming from...I heard the word "Theory" and thought of some extremely complicated subject for bass...but as I took a look at theory and put a little effort into it i'm gradually learning scales and understanding the concept of chords etc.....scales are sometimes a chore to learn...but actually they're kind of fun to learn I think...and once you get the notes of the fretboard down...thing becomes a lot easier....instead of just guessing whats going to sound right you'll know....and then that can lead to improvising etc. etc....I think a good idea is to think of a practice routine and work on the weak areas...a teacher is not quite the option for myself either in a small area but I've went along with what I've learned here on the site and would say I've progressed greatly! I just need to find a teacher..blah blah....anyways don't give up on it because it's intimidating a little...I think if you can get past what Pacman has posted on learning notes and playing the scales things will become a lot easier:)
  8. I undeerstand triads!!!! hurray!
  9. deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
  10. thanks i was looking for the cirlce of fifths thing, man you guys rock
  11. yeah i dont have a clue what gard is talking about there but i can see that i will with some practice.
  12. Ahem!.....:p
    First off, no amount of theory is good, until it is vast. You need an "extensive knowledge of theory", like me.:D

Hehe.....I'll leave now.;)
  13. i think this will help me along quiet a bit. you guys are the best. BTW any tips on how to apply this stuff as i learn it? and should i just memorize my fretboard like ive started to?
  14. of coarse. im going to be the most professional bassist even to walk this earth by the time im dead;) :D
  15. ment to type ever not even sorry ***
  16. You can use your newly aquired knowledge of triads and use it to creat a simple yet effective bassline. Lets say the chord your guitarist is playing is C major. The notes in that chord are C-E-G. Just use those notes on your bass, and WHAM you got yourself a good sounding bassline.

Memorizing the fretboard is important too, when you think you got the bassics of scales and modes down, try this:
    It'll help you memorize where the notes from a scale appear on your entire fretboard.
  17. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Which part exactly?
  18. He, I was in this situation a year ago. Just stay on talkbass. It's all you need. Also, some books will help to. Bass books, piano books, theory books in general will all do.

Now I know more theory than the overwhelming majority of students in the music program at my school, and I've been playing for 2 years with no private lessons.

Talkbass is the way to learn theory. There are some very helpful and knowledgable people here.