1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music Therapy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sweetpea, Jan 23, 2003.

1. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    About 2 days after Christmas, I was admitted into a VA Hospital, while visiting my sister in Nasville for the holidays. I was transferred to the VA in Murfessboro where I stayed for about 20 days.

There was a Music Therapist there and she helped me out SOOO much. I was able to groove a little, and it kept my spirits up.

I was wondering how many TB music therapists (or patients of a music therapist) there are out there and if you'd like to share any stories.

I think it's a great career, and am amazed at music's power to relax, uplift, and encourage people.

Any takers?

2. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    All i know is probablly everyone here finds music theraputic, in one way or another. I seriously doubt i'd still be around if I didn't have music to fall back on. So, no, no real expirience w/ actual music therapy, but i can definatly see how it would work.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Waaaay more importantly - are you ok?!? Anything we can do?

4. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    Never had a professional administer the treatment, but I try to come as close as possible to overdosage (which seems to be impossible) via self-medication.

5. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    First, Yes, I'm doing much better thanks. I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder about a year ago, and stopped seeing a shrink, and stopped taking any medication after I was discharged from the AF. I started going manic, and "taking unnecessary risks" I'll save you the wild story :)

6. wow, man. i have a friend with bipolar (as well as tourettes and ADHD) so i kinda know how it can be. hope all is well