1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

music variety

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by peaveyuser, Jun 13, 2007.

1. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Around my school I find that some younger people ( like me) usually stick to and only listen to one or two basic styles of music derived from the rock variety; IE the metal heads, Rock crowd, the punk crowd etc... I find it weird because you see some metal heads ( while the more opened minded ones, some are still pretty arrogant though) will respect classic rock bands like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin etc.. they will only listen to metal and the guys who only listen to classic rock will only listen to the type of bands I listed above, and some totally disregard the metal bands. Now what I find weird is that why is it that there are only a few that will listen to both (me). I mean is it that weird on uncommon to listen to blues, metal and rock? It seems that virtually no one I know (with exception to a few) can listen to The Rolling Stones, Metallica, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, The Beatles, Angra, Led Zeppelin, Stevie Ray Vaughn etc..... I can't really understand it because there are big similarities between those genres.

2. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    i'm gonna name my next band the rolling tones

thx :)

3. The thing is, in today's music, it is all about genre-based things. You are right in your observation, that is for sure.

You are not alone though, and you will notice that with the more people you talk to over time. I myself like a wide variety of music myself, and even on bass I play a wide variety of styles and genres.

The unfortunate thing for the music industry is that it is slowing getting shut down and weeded out, there are almost exclusively genre based bands these days, and it is a hard industry to get into, especially with so many bands being able to self-produce themselves.

4. Sarbecue Boss

Sarbecue Boss

Jul 9, 2006
    +1

What I am listening to currently

Eric Whitaker

Nile

Phish

The Faceless

Hiromi Uehara

Nobuo Uematsu

It's to hard fo me to listen to 1 band or style of music, because it lessen the effect emotionally it has on me

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    What piece? Don't tell me it's "Eyes on Me"

You'll have to turn in your man card.

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Damn. You noticed that too. I was so into registering the www.therollingtones.com. :scowl:

7. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    well it's either rolling tones or stationary white noise.

8. Sarbecue Boss

Sarbecue Boss

Jul 9, 2006
    Eyes on me? never heard of it. How about 1 Winged Angel with the Black Mages

9. Eyes on Me isn't that bad. Any song that is from FF I pretty much love, and FF VIII was an amazing game.

10. antiseptic

antiseptic **antisepticised**

Jul 18, 2006
    la la land
    I have no problem with:
    1. people with a variety of musical taste.
    2. people with no variety of musical taste.
    3. people no.1 who respect people no.2 and vice versa.

11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    It's standard lovey dovey pop something. =/

One Winged Angel is good. I also like Liberi Fatali from FF8.

But I think I like FF Tactics the best in terms of music. Not sure if it was still Uematsu, but it's great.

12. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I've found that the most respected musicians listen to a wide range of music. It would feels rather silly to listen to only one or two styles of music just to keep up a cool (?) image...

To me, there is great and crap music in all genres.

13. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    yea it's not right to listen to one kind of music. If I've learned anything valuable (not just marketable) from my 10 years of piano, it's that different styles are important to know and understand to become more well-rounded not only as a person, but as a musician.

Me? I might listen to eagles in the morning, classical of some variety in the afternoon, early evening maybe beatles, later might listen to a little MCR. Then of course there's the occassional symphonic movie soundtrack thrown in from john williams or hans zimmer, yea that about covers it.

I don't get how you can only appreciate one genre, especially of modern music with all it's compression and lack of dynamics and dynamic expression. Classical is so much better at that sort of thing, and I try to incorporate that in every style I play, at least on piano. Bass it's sort of pointless to make the melody sing out when there isn't a melody line on the bass. So I just go with the flow. Any of you know what an alberti bass line is? Those are fun.

14. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    What a sad thing it is to hear that liking different kinds of rock is considered diverse. That's only the proverbial tip of the iceberg, and not the biggest one either.

15. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    if you were referring to my post I didnt mean classical rock i meant classical like the four periods: baroque, classic, romantic, contemp. Like bach, mozart, beethoven, rachmaninov, stravinsky, schoenburg, etc.

16. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    +1
    I never said I think my music taste is diverse hell no I'm just saying a lot of people I know and see have very little variety even in the whole Rock Genre which I find a bit more odd. I listen to mainly classic rock, Metal and am starting to get into blues, not a big variety but it's growing.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021