Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Video

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hopefully this link works, if not, I'll fix it. You will need "Real Player" installed to view it. My friend recorded us at a party doing a Incubus song. He added these goofey video effects which put the video and sound a few seconds out of sync, but you get the idea. I'm playing my LeCompte thru a Kustom Groove Bass head and Avatar SB112 and B210 cabs. Oh, that is NOT the name of our band displayed at the begining, my friend who did the video thought it would be funny to make up a new name for the video because our singer is black and the rest are jewish... Oh well, let me know what you think of the bass work (or if it needs work ;) ).

Link to Video

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Too bad it's in realplayer, otherwise I would have had a look at it for sure.

3. Quadzilla

Yeah, my buddy who did the video and then captured it to PC did it in Real Player format for some reason. I'll try to convert it later if I can find a tool. The good news is that Real offers a totally free player (the basic player). Takes a bit of navigation on their site to find it cause they want you to buy their enhanced player...

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I know it's free, but every time I install it various stuff pops up that I didn't ask for, my machine slows down, automatical downloads, etc etc...

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Real Player is teh suck.

6. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Real Player is teh MAJOR suck.

(So is Quicktime, now that Apple tries to jam iTunes stuff down your throat when you install it.)

However...

Real Alternative

(There is also a Winamp plugin linked from the same page.)

'rick

7. Quadzilla

OK, I'll find a way to convert, but for now, can you at least get to the file and start to download it with no errors? Just need to mak sure that I uploaded it properly with the right permissions, etc. Thanks!

8. Maverick Blues

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Seems fine to me. I run Real Alternative here. When I hit the page you linked, an embedded player loaded up in my browser. Clicked play, and off I went.

As for content... well, let's just say I wish our band sounded that good. :)

'rick

9. Quadzilla

Thanks for answering BOTH of my questions Rick! Anybody else? Feel free to be as BRUTALLY honest (or complimetary) as needed. I've never posted as recording of me playing ANYWHERE before for evaluation. Thanks again Rick and ALL!

10. Slurm

Slurm

Jan 9, 2005
    Did you use every single wipe and fade in the movie editing program?

11. Quadzilla

Like I said above, it was not me who did the video, it was my best buddy (who is not in the band). I have no idea of what tools he used, how he did it, etc. I just know it's over kill and it made the audio and video a bit outta sync to boot! He gave me all of the songs we did that night unedited on a DVD so I may try to download some tools and cut it up myself. How was my playing and the band?

12. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I tried real hard to see the bass. I wanted to see it in action. I was squinting and making funny faces at the screen. I could barely make out the headstock for a couple of seconds. :crying: The band sounds good though.

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Works fo me. I use real alt too.

14. Quadzilla

Don't worry Bud, we did a lot of songs while it was still light out and I'll find a tool to cut those up and post em so you can see your creation in action!

15. Maverick Blues

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Please do. I'm in a group that does monthly "music nights" where we share things we think others will like ("share" as in play the CD/DVD and make aware of, not "share" as in file sharing/disc copying). Give me a good crisp video and I'll make you part of my program one month. "These guys are from Maryland, and I sorta know the bassist." :cool:

Also, be sure to share the name of the group so I can give you guys proper credit. Who knows, you might wind up with a few more guys from Virginia in your audience sometime when you're playing out. ;)

'rick

16. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

I see very few bands live, but from what I've heard, VERY good. Only thing I didn't like was the singing. A little off on the notes and not AMAZING tone, but still pretty good tone. The BAND was great all around though, I thought. Definitely post more of these if you or anyone else here has any!

17. Quadzilla

Thanks guys. We are all just a bunch of late 30 something - early 40 something guys who used to play in bands in high school and college (not together) and all of us literally stopped playing for 10 - 20 years and just picked it back up again a few years ago. Funny how we all met and had the same thing in common (used to play many moons ago and started again). I agree about the singer, good tone but not great. I'll post more videos when I get back home (on vacation at the beach with my laptop now).

18. great bass tone.. it was kind of hard to tell how well you are playing because of the bad lag.. but from what i could tell it was good.. i just wish that there were more light on the bass, i would have liked to se it in action and now when i've heard it my GAS is unbearable.

19. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    I liked your sound, and I too wish I could see you bass and playing.
    About the video... someone should chop off your friends hands if he as much as watches those effects again! Honestly, I'm glad I don't have epilepsy!

20. Quadzilla

Until I get other songs from that night up with no effects, it helps if you double the size of the video but right clicking on the screen where the video is playing and select "double size". Again, I'll poste more when I get back home from vaca. Thanks again all!