Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Vs. Mood

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    When you are in a down mood, what kind of music do you listen to? Happy music? Or Sad?

Personally I listen to depressing music, it's strange, it kinda helps to have someone agree with me, ha. I don't know, but if I'm in a bad mood, I don't want to pop in some XTC or The Go Team. Happy music, when I'm sad, makes me angry. It's weird.

What's your story? And maybe some examples. Saint Vitus is my favorite depression music right now, because it kind of replaces the sadness with a slight bad ass vibe.

2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    My saddest moments have been accompanied by:

Counting Crows
    Emery
    Radiohead
    Rocket Summer (ok. that one doesn't make sense, you had to be there)

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    If I'm feeling down, AC/DC's "Dirty Deeds..." album usually picks me back up.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I dare you to listen to Ryan Adams' "Love is Hell 1 and 2" and NOT want to kill yourself.

5. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Ha, I just posted in that other thread in which you excused yourself to create this one that Marillion, though I love them, depresses me if I listen to them for too long.

Listening to Rush always pumps me up though.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    There's another good downer band. Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws are both pretty depressing....especially Clutching.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I try to avoid lyrics that are too depressing, if that's all they are. There has to be something good about it.

I try not to let my mood dictate what kind of music I hear.

8. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    My "sad" album is Paul Simon's Hearts and Bones. The most consistently depressing album I own.

9. After I got divorced, and before I met my current wife, I loved to listen to Hank Williams (the real deal, not the son & grandson), George Jones and Merle Haggard. I don't drink when I'm depressed, but it sure did feel good singing about it!

10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Second semester of last year blew more than any other time in my life I could remember. I couldn't stand listening to sad music because it made me feel worse and happy music was obnoxious. So all I listened to was Television's 'Marquee Moon' over and over again, particularly "Venus". It was cool, emotionless with a detached, nonchalant sense of superiority that was just perfect for how I felt. It was the musical equivalent of saying "Whatever, I'm too cool for this **** anyway." Which was exactly what I needed to hear.

11. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    whatever my mood is, i listen to my fav bands

12. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    when I'm all wound up( read pissed ) I find the blues channel on Sirius mellows me right out. Other than that, things go better with (old school) metal.