Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

music with steel drums

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bill Brasky, May 2, 2001.

1. I really like the sound of steel drums and the kind of music you usually hear them in. Our university percussion ensemble had a concert a while back where they played all kinds of different percussion instruments and they did all sorts of styles of music and I loved it. They did one thing where they played all the music from Super Mario Brothers and they did some really cool stuff with marimbas and steel drums and some Caribbean rhythms for the invincible music (like after mario picks up a star). Anyway... I was wondering if someone could suggest some groups or people that are good to listen to, because I really don't know of any by name. I just know I like the music when I hear it and it has some really cool rhythms to it.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Andy Narrell is one of the better known steel pan players. He's sort of new agey, though.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jaco's Word Of Mouth band sometimes had Othello Molineaux playing steel drums. I'm thinking Twins or Invitation. Molineaux also has a solo disc out there(I got it...it's pretty good)called It's About Time.
    ...a nice version of "Havona" is on the disc.

If you're lucky enough to find these early Tribal Tech cds, Spears and Dr. Hee, Brad Dutz plays some steel drums(& marimba). In fact, Dutz, I think, has many albums as the leader.

Not sure here-
    ...whadda 'bout The Carribean Project? Is Narrell also in that band? Not sure; I know Steve Khan, Dave Samuels, & Keith Jones(bass) are/were in that outfit.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    If you really wanna get a steel drum fix, check out Jaco's Holiday for Pans. I haven't heard it myself. I saw a double CD with the complete sessions for about $45 and was so nauseated I had to leave the store.

Will C.:cool:

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...pass on Pans. Trust me.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes, the family have said that they would rather people don't buy this , as they get no money and it is just some japanese businessman trying to squeeze as much money as possible out of this. :(

There's always Palladium on "Heavy Weather" where Jaco actually plays steel drums!

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Brad-
    ...cool! Nice tone, too.
    The tune is very early Spyro Gyra-ish(especially the chorus!); sounds like it coulda been off either Carnaval or Free Time. Good stuff!

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks, Jim;). I did some gigs with Ken and it was way too much fun.

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
  11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md