Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

music without bass!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dabass, Oct 29, 2005.

1. dabass

dabass Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    Hey, just want to get a general concensus/opinion on music without a bassist! Every time I buy music and there is no bass player I feel cheated. I guess I'm biased, but music without the heartbeat, pulse or MOJO, if you will, it just doesn't have as much appeal to me. I recently bought Stevie Wonder's CD, and as much as I love Stevie (one of my all time favorites in any genre of music), it just doesn't "strike that chord. No passion or real connection with the music. I just think the CD would be better, not necessarily because I'm a bass player, I just think it "feels" and sounds better. The TECHNO BASS feel just isn't it! SHOW US SOME LOVE STEVIE! :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

2. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I think it depends on the music and on the musicians. There is some incredible music out there without bass!

I think we can and should learn from any kind of music/instrument. If not, how would bass evolve and improve?

3. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I read an interview with the original members of Chicago once a long time ago and evidently they were a six piece band with no bass player.
    Peter Cetera approached them and told them that the only thing they were missing was bass - and that they needed him to join the band.
    Everytime I listen to Introduction I remember that interview and try to imagine it without his bass. :scowl:

4. The more I listen to piano concertos, the harder it is for me to try to come up with a proper bass line to go along with them, so I guess that piano concertos would qualify as a style of music that is fine without a bass. ;)

Other than that; I get sick listening to groups that use keyboard basses! What a rip-off!

5. a perfect example of missing bass lines is most of The White Stripes stuff. Seven Nation Army has "bass" but most of the other stuff just seems kinda dry.

6. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    music without bass is boring ;)

7. Dirty Dozen Brass Band replaced the Bass with a Sousaphone/Tuba; but the bass replaced the Sousaphone/Tuba way back in the old jazz days; so Dirty Dozen are really normal

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I never like to hear about bands without bassist, but every year before the Saints play the Falcons the Rebirth Brass Band comes to ATL... They are amazing.... I still feel that there is bass in their music, just not the timbre of a bass guitar. Tunes are still supported squarely with tuba, euphonia, sousaphone, baritone... etc.

9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I listen to a good amount of music without a bass player. The low end is usually taken care of by another instrument; not all bands can do it, but some are talented enough, and capable enough that they don't really need a bassist. I don't think it makes the bass obsolete or anything; any more than groups like the Dirtbombs, Lightning Bolt, Japanther or Ospreys make the guitar obsolete.

10. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Anybody here into Drums and Tuba?

11. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    Two of my fav bands right now don't have "bass players" charlie hunter trio and soulive,no bass players but great basslines

12. How about any string quartet? Beethoven, Haydn, Shostakovich... Most of those sound pretty good. There's also tons of solo piano music, solo classical guitar, violin duos, trios etc. that also are just fine as they are.

13. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    both are favs!!!

CHT came to ATL last August and I have been trying to comp the chord and walking bass thing ever since...

14. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn

+1! Lightning Bolt! And Death from Above 1979.

What about the Dandy Warhols! no bass - just tons of synth low end.

15. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I'm on Fire by springsteen doesnt have any bass part. there are quite a few prince songs that dont have bass either. weird.

16. Yeah... I love the tuba tone. Really unique.

17. Charlie Hunter is the bass player, he just happens to be the guitar player as well.

18. Never investigated it, so it could be garbage, but did The Doors record albums with a bass player but never used one live? My father told me this years ago when I was first starting out, a great reason as to why I've never particularly liked them...

19. There is some great stuff with no bass. Like someone said, The White Stripes. Jack White is an insane guitarist and soloist, and the bottom end is taken care of by Meg's drumming, even if its not very good. As bass players, you need to be open to everything, from solo bassists, to music without the bass. Music without bass also helps with creativity. Write your own bass lines to it

20. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Here's one, Patrick Moraz & Bill Bruford - Music for Piano and Drums and Flags Both are utterly brilliant.