1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music you don't like listening to, but you like performing...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This is a strange one, I doubt I'm completely alone: Are there any genres of music you don't like listening to (or you just think is meh) but you love performing.

I don't like Noise rock, but it is COMPLETELY self indulgent. It's musical therapy. It's making noise, pure and simple. It's like, "I have the power to make these noises, and there is nothing you can do about it... NEIGHBOR!!"

Also, Black Metal. I find it to be mostly (not all of it) boring. But if I pick up my guitar, I want to throw on distortion, tons of reverb, and play minor chords and scream about the moon silloutte against the demon soul, forever immortal into the witches curse, and so forth.

One more, classic rock. As much as I'm sick of the "Hey, we've been hearing the same songs for about 4 decades now, LETS PLAY 'EM AGAIN!!" cover bands are fun.

2. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Jamiroquai.

3. +1 on the classic rock. Dont listen to it much, but I love to play it. Fun stuff.

Dave

4. MeyerBrown

MeyerBrown

Aug 9, 2005
    I dont listen to much of it (nor do i indulge in the practices put forth in the songs) but playing stoner metal is SO MUCH FUN!

5. I dont like most music, yet i feel at home performing anything. Yet at the same time i've never performed what i like to listen to

6. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Classic rock - love to play it, hardly ever just listen to it anymore.

7. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Disco and country music. I don't like to listen to either one, but nothing grooves better than some disco lines or a simple country beat if the drummer's happenin', ya know?

8. "jam band" music - can be very fun (read as self-indulgent), but I can only listen to it in small doses.

a friend gave me a recent live recording of widespread panic. one of the tracks started as a bongo/conga solo. after about a minute I could not believe it was still going on...so I continued listening, and continued listening, and continued listening... it went on for exactly 8 minutes.

9. Bach. I almost never listen to Bach recreationally, but I LOVE playing it, especially in front of an audience.

10. steve21

steve21 Banned

Noisecore. :cool:

I hate any "Noise" type of music, but making/arranging it yourself if funny as heck.

11. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Disco/Reggae...
    But people go NUTZ!!!

Fun stuff

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Disco. Please don't tell my "real" friends.:meh:

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Lots of stuff, but especially lounge jazz with vocals.:bag: The gigs tend to be a real hoot, and some of the musicians I play with are stellar, but no way do I listen to that on my watch at home.

14. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Any kind of chops-oriented fusion stuff. Tribal Tech, Frank Gambale...that kind of fusion stuff is fun as Hell to play but very self-indulgent. It has a very j**-off kinda quality to it: You'll probably get your rocks off, but really there's not much reason for it to mean much to anyone else.

Fun to play tho...;)

15. I never could understand how people can listen to those jazz sessions all night. Really, I tried: I've been there lots of times as a listener with friends who are analyzing every note that's thrown in and they can keep up with this for hours and hours having a good time. While I'm bored within minutes.
    On the other hand I do understand the musicians: It's great fun to play these standards. It's good practice and I bet you can go on for at least a hundred years to do all sorts of variations within these structures.
    I'm not much off a jazzer. On one hand I would love to be able to improvise on anything instantly as they can. On the other hand I never took the time to practice enough.
    But I'm still under 50 and you never know what tomorrow will bring ..... :smug:

16. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Jazz, perhaps. I don't listen to a whole lot of jazz or fusion (though my CD collection does have the requisite Jaco, Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea, etc albums), but I like to come up with different chord progressions and blow over them jazz-style.

And metal, too, I think. I pretty much listen to no metal at all... but once in a while, I just love to distort the crud out of my guitar and just riff and shred away.

17. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Depends a lot on the audience; if they're amped, just about anything that gets 'em jumpin' can be fun!

Guess that's why there's such a consensus on a lot of classic rock.

18. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Big Band, of any sort. I can't stand trumpets....most big band music is self-indulgent on the part of the composer, and I can't stand to listen to it.

But I love drivin the bus! :D Kicking a big band with a great drummer is almost religious! (see the very old thread in DB recordings to hear me with my big band...)

19. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I have always hated REO Speedwagon, Journey, Supertramp, etc. Just find it all tooooo syrupy.

But we cover REO's "Take It On The Run", and I totally love playing it. I get to sing backup, I get to indulge in a bit of drama, and I'm the one who powers the band through the lead progressions, while the guitarist does her thing. (Here I am playing with REO fans, and they didn't realize there was a different progression for the guitar lead. :rollno: )

And the crowd goes crazy for it.

Good times!

Cherie :)