Musical Chairs

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Pfun, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Pfun

Pfun

Jun 12, 2019
    I find it challenging to find a group of musicians that get together for the sake of good music... I want to play with the best people possible..but around here you have gate keepers or straw bosses that you have to bow or acquiesce to in order to stay in the loop...and these guys are usually not good musicians themselves..they just are guys that can book gigs... I'd rather stay at home and play my church gigs than to kiss someone's rear end...anybody understand me or am I tripping

2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I have no idea what you’re on about. You’re trippin’

JRA and oldrocker like this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    If you get together for the exposure you may have a better outcome.:laugh:

4. Pfun

Pfun

Jun 12, 2019
    I play because I love it..some have different motivations...probably why I'm still playing

5. Pfun

Pfun

Jun 12, 2019
    I find that money is an absolute corruption to just about every endeavor in the history of mankind...dont misunderstand me...i like money and it's a thrill to get paid for something i would do freely...i think the late great Louis Johnson said it best..."get a job" ..even a great bass player like him said you need a job until you get to a level....i find a lot of guys around here chasing 100 bucks every chance they get..it makes it hard to establish something truly worthwhile.

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

?

- don't where you are...
    - don't know how old you are...
    - don't know anything about your experience...

... why don't you fill out your profile page and get back to us. thanks.

i'll wait. :laugh:

7. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    John Scofield:

“I guess I would take any chance to play with other people. Even though it might be something that doesn’t seem that great, just do it anyway. ‘Cause even if you just learn one new song that you didn’t know that might inform you about something, or meet the bass player you like [yes, he really said this] or whatever, those are the things that keep you going, the things outside what you normally want to do, will help you in a way that you would never imagine.”

viper4000 likes this.
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    So start talking to.the venues yourself, and become one of "those people". Everyone wants to gig. No one wants to book gigs.

9. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    The business of playing out is like any other, it is as much about politics and connections as it is performance. As pointed out we dont know where you are so i cant offer direct advise but you may want to develop those connections yourself. Also remember that gigging, especially cover band gigging, is about entertaining an audience and audiences often don't care about musicianship. I've seen plenty of really popular bands that were not the best musically. Why are they popular? They play relatable music and have social connections.

10. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Who gets the bass gig? Once you clear the bar of "other/intangible" requirements (age, attractiveness/look/vibe, level of showmanship, etc), most desireable gigs come down to networking, which comes down to your reputation for skill level, your reputation for being available/reliable/eager to gig, and your reputation for hang.

Since not many bass gigs require—or even notice or leave room for—truly rarified levels of musicianship, it's unusual that being the absolute best player in genre X in your market determines who gets the gig. Instead, first refusal (and 2nd, 3rd, 4th, ...) usually goes to a player who is active on the scene yet also available, with more-than sufficient chops, who also gets along with everyone (including the BLs).

My 2¢: if neither chops nor intangibles are holding you back, work on letting things not bother you, or start booking lucrative gigs, or host fun low-key musical sessions at your house, or start focused/productive collaborative writing/recording projects, or get used to playing music by your lonesome.

"To keep a band together you simply need a gimmick. The gimmick I use is to pay them money." — Duke Ellington

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021