Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musical Direction band/personal

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by warwickbass, Aug 22, 2003.

1. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    Not a rant... just in case it sounds like one.

Ok, im fairly new to the music scene, Ive been playing bass for just over 2 1/2 years now and mainly just as a hobby. Recently I have had the privilege of joining a local band, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Now granted its only been about a month or so, but nothing is getting done. I cant really get anything out of them, I ask them what styles they want to do, what the lyrics are gonna be about in general and so on... and I don't get anything out of them, the singer says we just need to learn how to jam together, it doesn't matter on what, we just need to jam. I can obviously see that that is needed but I cant see jamming on blues when were playing metal. Now my problem is that I know very much what I would like to do both lyrically and musically, but if I tell them.. im just gonna get a bunch of dumbfounded people who didn't get what I just said, or didn't like it, or think we need to focus on other things before we worry about that. I feel a strong need for a plan and some direction, and I take all of this very seriously because im not looking to just have fun, I also want to make this my art and hopefully sometime down the road a source of income, fun is the least of my worries, Id rather be a little more professional. Now they all want to "tour the world" as my guitarist put it, and he's going to music school too, so if he doesn't do music in some way he's screwed, And I haven't seen a thing to suggest he's gone to school, infact he's not very good.. a rhythm guitarist at best.

Any who those are just a few of my problems... the plus side is that the singer has all kinds of connections in the music scene out here, due to his family mainly, but there's someone that wants to get the band into a studio to check us out and see what he can do. And I guess he knows all the people at the clubs and what have you and can get us into them with a shorter waiting time and better times to play. Now I don't wanna just jump on for a free ride or anything like that, but I see this as a pretty good opportunity that I would be stupid to pass up.

There are a few things holding me back form doing what I want to do. 1 being the band going nowhere at the moment, 2 being lack of equipment that I want to have (I do however have the equipment needed to gig and what have you, just not the effects and other nice things to get the sounds I want), 3 my lack of experience in the music scene.

So ya... problems 2 and 3 (and obviously some other small ones) are easily taken care of, I know what I need to do. But I have no clue as to what to do about the band situation... I mean I haven't even met the drummer yet because noones called him, the guitarist needs to pull his head out of is ass and smell the coffee and the singer needs some plans and goals. I don't want to try and take charge and telling the people whom let me into there band what to do, but it seems like someone's gotta

Any advice you can offer would help me out... and im happy to answer any questions that need to be answered to sort all of this out and get things moving.

Thanks in advanceNot a rant... just in case it sounds like one.

Ok, im fairly new to the music scene, Ive been playing bass for just over 2 1/2 years now and mainly just as a hobby. Recently I have had the privilege of joining a local band, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Now granted its only been about a month or so, but nothing is getting done. I cant really get anything out of them, I ask them what styles they want to do, what the lyrics are gonna be about in general and so on... and I don't get anything out of them, the singer says we just need to learn how to jam together, it doesn't matter on what, we just need to jam. I can obviously see that that is needed but I cant see jamming on blues when were playing metal. Now my problem is that I know very much what I would like to do both lyrically and musically, but if I tell them.. im just gonna get a bunch of dumbfounded people who didn't get what I just said, or didn't like it, or think we need to focus on other things before we worry about that. I feel a strong need for a plan and some direction, and I take all of this very seriously because im not looking to just have fun, I also want to make this my art and hopefully sometime down the road a source of income, fun is the least of my worries, Id rather be a little more professional. Now they all want to "tour the world" as my guitarist put it, and he's going to music school too, so if he doesn't do music in some way he's screwed, And I haven't seen a thing to suggest he's gone to school, infact he's not very good.. a rhythm guitarist at best.

Any who those are just a few of my problems... the plus side is that the singer has all kinds of connections in the music scene out here, due to his family mainly, but there's someone that wants to get the band into a studio to check us out and see what he can do. And I guess he knows all the people at the clubs and what have you and can get us into them with a shorter waiting time and better times to play. Now I don't wanna just jump on for a free ride or anything like that, but I see this as a pretty good opportunity that I would be stupid to pass up.

There are a few things holding me back form doing what I want to do. 1 being the band going nowhere at the moment, 2 being lack of equipment that I want to have (I do however have the equipment needed to gig and what have you, just not the effects and other nice things to get the sounds I want), 3 my lack of experience in the music scene.

So ya... problems 2 and 3 (and obviously some other small ones) are easily taken care of, I know what I need to do. But I have no clue as to what to do about the band situation... I mean I haven't even met the drummer yet because noones called him, the guitarist needs to pull his head out of is ass and smell the coffee and the singer needs some plans and goals. I don't want to try and take charge and telling the people whom let me into there band what to do, but it seems like someone's gotta

Am I wasting my time, should I try and get my points accross, are my points even good?

Any advice you can offer would help me out... and im happy to answer any questions that need to be answered to sort all of this out and get things moving.

Thanks in advance

2. Wow! Two posts in one! ;)

My advice would be to stick with them anyway, but keep searching for a better gig. I'm thinking of leaving my main band soon because I've finally found a band willing to play originals (BTW, they already have a dozen excellent tunes).

Be patient, your gig will come. Just use this opportunity to try to get some experience.

Good luck! :)

3. sounds to me like you have vision, but maybe not confidence and/or folks who are on your level of thinking and playing. i feel yer pain.

here's been a little of my experience with the whole band thing. please remember, i am in no way a super-player; i am a slightly-better-than- advanced beginner-drummer who fell into a band partially because i was asked and partially because i was in a mid-life crisis. however, i always did want to be in a rock band.

our band's been together a little over 5 years and it's only in the last year that we've done anything substantial, at least in terms of gigging and recording. we do have a 4-song demo, but not a pro-level cd yet. there are numerous reasons for this:

1) band personnel changes [bassists!]
    2) internal strife and suffering
    3) confusion over musical direction
    4) money

you have already noticed that it's a problem when the band isn't focused and on the same page; and in my estimation, this is the single greatest reason why more bands aren't out there. when i say on the same page, i mean everyone needs to have the same level of interest/dedication to the band, everyone has to contribute the same time and effort to the band, everyone has to be clear on what the music's about, and everyone has to stay focused and positive about the musical project at hand. this doesn't mean everyone is actually contributing to the musical creation [in fact, sometimes it's better when there's one leader who knows where s/he wants to take the music. too many chefs spoil the soup], but everyone knows what wants/needs to be accomplished.

that said, if you feel you are with people who don't exhibit those qualities, you should move on and seek others who are. the biggest time waster is having people who are all over the map. what good are your musical connections if you have no set music and a drummer you don't even know?

i also think it's helpful to think more about the music and the "fun" aspect about it, and worry less about making it. don't get me wrong; i don't think you shouldn't push to make it, but making music and making it feel and sound good should be your objective for now. first get the music together, then move on to promote your act. if you do a good job of that and play with conviction, as a unit, people will take note. it may take a long time, but people will take note.

lastly, i cannot overemphasize the importance of money to a band's continued progress. you need money to pay for recordings, make demos, print t-shirts and flyers, get a website looking good, travel to other cities, rent gear, vans, buy stage clothes, etc. etc. the list is never-ending. EVERYONE in the band has to contribute to this. unless you're all zillionaires, you'll find that money can be the big thing that prevents even the most talented bands from getting ahead.

so i guess my general advice to you is: get with people who share your dedication and talent, work hard to establish a sound/musical direction you want, play your butts off and do it well, and save a little money so you can finance your dream. also, when you do have the band together, work your tail off to promote yourselves. it's really tough to get the word out that your band exists.

that's my thinking. again, not a pro talking, just a hard working hard rocker who wants our band to be seen and acknowledged.

and, ahem -- if anyone cares to acknowledge us, we'll be playing at The Lion's Den in NYC this Tuesday nite, Augu. 26th, at 7:30 pm. 18 to enter, 21 to drink. rock on!

miko

http://www.geocities.com/smogg_rocks/main.htm

:bassist:

4. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    Well thanks for the replys, they were helpfull seeing as how im kinda alone in all of this. Its funny because all my teachers and family have allways told me how "oh your so smart" and "you can do what ever you want if you'd just apply yourself" and so on and so on, but now its... "your not gonna get anywhere with that", "its too hard to do that" and stuff like that... its like oh ya, do what ever you want as long as its gonna be easy and has a huge demand and will be a sure thig... pfffft

So ya, I guess Im gonna wait and see what happens and keep my options VERY open. But now that Ive decided that im gonna do this seriously im gonna kick things into gear... with them, or not.

Maybe im just a little full of myself, I mean i know im not that good, but I have such a great vision... just need someone that can actualy work with me on it.

Thanks Guys