Musical Equipment Purchasing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mlowe, Mar 23, 2005.

1. What factors other than sound and quality encourage you to buy one product over another?
  2. Price, reliability, availability. :)
  3. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Based on a few posts I've seen, blue led lights on the front panel!!!!!! :cool:
  4. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Performance. End of story.
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Those are the biggies. Beyond those, I agree with bassicinstinct on price and reliability. IMO availability isn't as much of an issue these days as it used to be if you live near a big urban center and have an Internet connection.

Weight and size are also concerns to me. I hate schlepping more than I have to. These issues don't outweigh sound and quality, but where sound and quality are in the ballpark, I'll take the smaller, lighter gear, all else being equal.

Looks also play a role, but at best a secondary or tertiary one. But for me it's more a negative concern than a positive one. That is, I'm not that into whether my gear looks hot or kewl or bitchin'. But it would bug me if it looked absolutely stupid.
  6. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    other than sound and quality......customer service.
    Everybody is a nice guy when you're buying their product, it's how they respond when you have a problem that makes the difference.
  7. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    oops...wrong thread
  8. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Sound, price, looks in that order
  9. Availabilty is an issue, IMO. While I have internet access to anything under the sun, I prefer to test something before I take it home, versus ordering it and then deciding.

Since no one else has mentioned it, I'll also add company reputation. Wrapped up in this is reliability, customer service, etc.

10. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Avoid gear that has red, yellow or orange lights on the front if you can. The color of these lights will affect your playing AND your sound. When buying new gear always go toward the BLUE lights. ;)
  11. I'm picking up a Rack Rider soon with lights, and they'll be changed to blue soon enough.

12. +1
  13. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    What everyone else said.

Plus (maybe) resale value, since few of us ever seem 100%satisfied, and many of us, limited in space or capital, must sell the old to acquire the new.
  14. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Over the years, I have gone through more equipment than I would like to admit to. I have bought gear based on quality, price, reliability, availability, weight, size, looks, customer service, reputation, and sound. At the end of the day, for me anyway, sound is most important. Here is my thinking on this (keeping in mind that all of these are important)

Quality: I've had some top quality equipment that just didn't sound good.

Price: You sometimes get what you pay for. (And sometimes overpay)

Reliability: A reliable rig that doesn't achieve your "tone" is worthless

Availability: If you want the gear, search for it or purchase it on a trial basis. Just because it is not easily accessible, doesn’t mean you should pass up on good equipment!

Weight: My age would agree with this one, but I tend to play through my rig a lot more than I lift it, so weight is not really an issue.

Size: Um......find a band mate with a pickup truck?

Looks: Don't make the mistake of buying for looks. That's all I can say on that one.

Customer Service: I guess I have just been lucky over the years. Rarely had to deal with any company directly. If I found my dream cabinet, etc, I wouldn't turn it down just because their customer service stinks.

Reputation: People might have high opinions of products and companies for reasons that mean nothing to you. Do your own research and make your own assumptions.

Sound: To me, this is most important. Again, all of the above have their place, but you could have the highest quality, best priced, most reliable, light weight, easy to lug around, bad ass looking rig that is available on every street corner made by a company with the best reputation, and best customer service. But if you plug it in and it has the sound of a “speak and spell”, what does all of the other stuff matter?

I have had fun going through all of the different gear over the years, and it turned into an expensive hobby. Spending the money and going through all of the different gear first hand is the only what to learn what is good for you and what will make you happy. All of these factors will come together for you in the end (and everybody is different). It took me 20 years, but I have finally found the gear I will die with! (Until that new “must have” amp comes around…….and it always does!!)
  15. awwww man, i thought it was purple lights! i guess ill forget about trying an m-pulse and go pick up an aggie
  16. Gee you guys are funny. The led color things a riot. I must admit when i first power up the navigator preamp the row of lights looked like the close encounters of the third kind set.

Then I realized it must be a stage light so you can see what your doing. Because you know your going to need to play with setting while your up there......... uhhh
  17. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Availability i don't really care about as NOTHING is available over here in Aus anyway ;)
    Customer service is always a plus. Boogie have always been good to me. I've seemed to have gotten good responses from Warwick as well.
    Looks are always a nice thing.. I always like a vintage or simple look.