Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musical Experience

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Cat, Jul 18, 2001.

What is your musical background?

Poll closed Aug 1, 2001.
  1. Self taught, bass only

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Self taught, started with different instrument

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Taught by teacher, bass only

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. Taught by teacher, different instrument first

15 vote(s)
    32.6%
  1. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    as requested:

I played baritone saxophone for 12 years (all thru primary education) but gave it up since I didn't own one and they are expensive as **** (around $4000 for a good one)! I really liked our jazz band's bass player, he was awesome. I also really like bass sound in general (hence baritone sax ;) ) so I started bass guitar. That was about 2.5 years ago, and I'm still going strong! I just need a band to play in now!

2. I taught myself bass two years ago, but I had formal training on piano starting when I was 7, although I quit that later, learned guitar from my dad when I was 10 and got lessons later for that, although I quit lessons later and just play on my own now, and tenor saxophone in school band. I also taught myself accordian (but not well), harmonica, and jaw harp. But bass is the one I got into the most.

3. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I started on trumpet four years ago and then after two years of that I started playing bass (I still play trumpet) then this year Im starting to play trombone, manely because I like the lower notes rather than the high ones.

4. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    Hey man, I love Bari Sax!!!!!!!!! I play too!!!!!!!!

That and Tenor. Alto is all right, I dont own one. But I cannot stand Soprano Sax. I even dislike Kenny G!!!!!!!!!!

Bari Sax OwNS.

5. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    At age 16 I decided I needed something to do, and as my brother had already "called" guitar, I figured why not bass.

I got group lessons at the junior college, but I also looked for a lot of theory myself, mainly from the InterNet.

I didn't really take any instruments seriously before starting on bass.

Now I play guitar too.

6. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i got my training wheels on guitar, and noodled around with that for a while, but i just didn't care for it. it was too common an instrument and, in my eyes, made it hard for anyone to stand out and be original because there were so many guitar players out there doing all kinds of stuff, but they were all pretty much doing the same thing anyway. i then gravitated towards violin years later after being inspired by an emotional solo at a concert. two years later and my ears were ringing every day from the high-pitched whine of my current instrument, and i gradually let it go.
    for a while i wasn't playing anything, until i kept noticing this weird, low-frequency thumping in all the songs from my favourite bands. i used to sit there and go to my friends, "man, can you hear that ? how cool is it !" and they'd just give me queer looks, and say "i can't hear it, man !"

i don't how i first worked out what i was listening to was called "bass", but after playing air-bass to all my favourite songs for months, i needed to get my own. been playing ever since.

7. started off playing piano - jazz/classical... rhen moved to bass

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Played Violin briefly in 5th grade(not long enough to actually learn anything).Switched to Drums for the next 16 or so years,then took up Bass in '95 when a friends band needed a Bassist.I havent really had much musical training,though.I had a Drum teacher when I first started,but I broke my wrist shortly after beginning lessons.When I got back to playing,I bought some books and opted to teach myself(big mistake,imo)rather than paying for lessons.Havent had any Bass lessons,but Id like to.