Musical ideas

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by count_funkula, Aug 24, 2001.

1. What are some good exercises to help get more out of my scales? When I play a lot of my fills and such sound too much like playing scales. I need to develop some more "musical ideas" from my scales, something that I can use in real playing situations.
    Especially more melodic ideas.
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    dont play scales play music

when playing with others around a chord chart use the scale as a guide The pentatonic has a flattened third even though you play it over a maj chord so instead of using five notes use 12 use some notes to add tension then resolve it.
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    There really are so many things you can do with a scale, and have it sound musical. CS gives great advice, don't just play the scale, play music.

Bach made wonderful music that was very diatonic. Play around with what you're doing now, make small changes, and continue to experiment. Are you just playing the scale up and down? Try playing it in 3rds, or every triad in the scale, (like 1-3-5, 2-4-6, 3-5-7, etc.).
  4. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    "Hear" the bassline you want in your head - your mind is often times more creative than your fingers which is usually on autopilot - as you hear the "melody" or "harmony", sing it with your voice, and play it out with your fingers. This will train your ear, and help you to make music rather than play scales like a robot. Do not get stuck with the same fills. Experiment, be brave, get out of your box. Listen to lots and lots of good music. Be exposed to different styles of music and playing.
  5. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Sing the bassline, ie when you have to play over some changes put the bass away, listen to the chords and try and sing a melody over them then translate this melody to the bass...its amazing how well this works and once youve translated it to the bass you can break down your notes and see how/why they work in the context of the chords.

(Of course this dosent really work if your voice sounds like a goose farting in a fog;)
  6. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    arpeggios are good to play, and just use the notes in the chord. don't be affraid to put in a few harmonics.