Musical Integrity

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gabu, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Yes, if the same suggestion kept coming in I would do it.

2 vote(s)
  2. Maybe, I would definately try it out and decide for myself if I liked it.

30 vote(s)
  3. I doubt it, I would listen to them... Maybe think on it a bit... But Hell, I wrote this shi-ite!

6 vote(s)
  4. No way!! I am an artist! The way I wrote it, is the way it is!

3 vote(s)
  1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    When your songs or music gets criticised, and I mean a good type of criticism not mean spirited, how much do you listen to it? Would you alter your tunes if enough suggestions rolled in to? Or would you stand fast, true to your art, as it was concieved?
  2. if i tried it out and it improves the song, i probably would. what i don't like is when my singer tried to change the lyric's i wrote for one of our songs:mad: grrr...
    if the criticism makes sense, and it comes from some one who i know knows what they're talkin' about, i'd think about it. if i tried it, and i liked it, i'd go for it.
    but only with reasonable suggestions, not stuff like "you guys should play some country"
  3. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I'd try it out, see if I like it - what harm can it do? But ultimately, it's my decision, and if everyone is telling me to change it, but I still feel that it shouldn't be changed, I won't change it.
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    My music/lyrics are fairly unconventional so it polarises people into ones that hate it or ones that love it. Also my stuff (through a long and boring story generally) gets listened by people who are mainly friends and musicians.

I think that when it comes to criticism about anything the questions to ask yourself are...

Do I care what this person thinks?

Do I trust their judgement?

What is their motivation?

I think that if we want to grow as (whatever) we need to let in a very small amount of people into our lives. BTW for me that number is one.
  5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    People are tainted by opnion...... whats good to you, is not to the next, or it might be. if YOU think it's good. just keep going at it. if YOU like it, chances are, someone else will to. And if someone just comes up and goes, "yeah, here is what i didn't like about you and your music". than chances are they are either very arogant, amoung other things.
  6. It depends on who sais it. If someone who knows what he's talkng about sais it I would probably check it out. But most people I know have no idea what so ever about music, most of them listn to HipHop :( :confused:
  7. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    What's wrong with hip hop? Some great bassists have done work with hip hop. A lot of hip hop incorporates elements of funk, which we all know is tied into RnB and blues.

Of course I'd try it out first, if you're not making music for your audience (I mean your REAL audience, not your casual listeners) who are you making it for? I consider music that is totally self serving to the artist is a form of masterbation and, while not a totally bad thing, it's best not to make it a habit. (btw, I masterbate often so I know what I"M talking about :D )
  8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I don't know. I've had several people give me suggestions about some of my songs, but of course, none of them are musicians, nor have they ever played an instrument or ever tried to write a song. I know some of the stuff I've written isn't going to win me any Grammys, but it's mine and I take it very personally when someone tells me, "That sucks!" You don't spit into the wind, you don't tug on Superman's cape and you don't ever tell a guy that something he wrote/drew/painted/composed/created/played sucks!

I voted for, "I might listen to them and think on it a bit..."
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Those with Mozart-like talent and vision, and the confidence that every note is exactly where it should be... they should stick to their guns regardless. Any less than that, and it's perfectly OK to be receptive to constructive criticism.

Making changes based on outside suggestions is probably not selling out (one big exception: if those outsiders are music industry insiders). My defininition of selling out is writing music you don't enjoy to appeal to a mass audience with the goal of earning money and/or fame.
  10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

After giving this some(?) thought, one would have to assess the credentials of the critics. If it is those knowledgeable or professionally in the recording arts, that's one thing.

If it is acquaintences, who like myself are influenced by passing fads, I may just leave it, as a benchmark to prompt remembrance of those critiques when I revisit that particular song.

Criticism affects our compositions one way or another anyway. But yes I do pay attention to critics, I don't always tell them so.
  11. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    The problem is those who think that they have Mozart-like talent and vision:rolleyes: