Musical parents, anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jul 21, 2000.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hi, dudes and dudettes.

I'm curious if most Talkbass members come from musical families. Did/do your parents play an instrument? One of my earliest memories is of my mother playing the accordion (it's a cool instrument, forget the stereotype), and my dad plays the saxophone.

Any other musical brats?

Will C. [​IMG]

I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.

2. Good topic, Will!
    I come from a very small, but musical family. My dad played acoustic guitar, my mom plays the flute, my sister played some pretty darn good piano until she quit at age 12, and my uncle is an accomplished operatic singer in New York City, he's performed around the world. That's my entire family right there!

[This message has been edited by Dave Siff (edited July 21, 2000).]
  3. My mom is a musician - piano, voice and guitar. She gave me a lot of my early musical instruction. My dad isn't particularly musical though he does have a nice singing voice.

4. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    My parents and relatives have no musical talent whatsoever. I am the only one that really was interested in music since I was 6 years old. My one brothers used to play some guitar and listened to alot of Zeppelin, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull.
    My other brother played drums for a short time and he was into more ELO, Bowie, Aerosmith, Eagles, Pink Floyd, and Kiss. So I grew up listening to heavier and progressive type music. I guess that's why I prefer to play the progressive metal type music. I played a little trumpet in elementary school, then guitar in junior high. I didn't pick up the bass until my senior year when a good friend of mine taught me some simple tunes to play. That's about the time I started getting into Jazz and some blues. My brothers don't listen to too much of that music anymore, but I occasionally attend concerts with my one brother. In fact we just caught The Moody Blues the other night. Not my type of music, but he enjoyed it.
  5. My dad plays the drums and saxaphone.
    That's about it
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Not my parents, though my mom sings pretty good, my father was tone deaf.

But my brother is a very good drummer, good guitarist and decent bassist, and my sister is a good keyboard/organ player, I guess God compensated my Dad for having a tin ear by giving all 3 of his kids great ears for music.

the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

7. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    My mother was a concert harpist (no, not blues harp, the OTHER kind! [​IMG] ) when she was in college. She taught piano lessons the whole time I was growing up. My dad played piano, and a little viola. I could almost hum "Malaguena (sp?)" by heart - it was the only song he could play from memory.
  8. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    my dad played the piano as a kid and my mom is a very good choir singer.
  9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    My dad...noooo....BAAAAAD singer...but he tries. He does play piano extremely well though. My mom played flute and piano for a long time, but doesnt play either much anymore. My uncle though is a professional guitarist, and makes many instruments himself. He was the one that got me started on bass when i was 6...because he told my parents to do it. Ive only seen him 5 times in my whole life, but hes so awesome.
  10. Biski2Dope

Mar 26, 2000
    My dad played guitar as a kid...he was in a band called P of S...::laugh:: now, i know what you all think that stood for...but it actually was short for Personification of Sound.

Weird? Oh well, the Pittsburgh kids liked them...

I am rubber, you are glue. Whatever you say i will store in a little box just in case i need to shove it down your throat at any given moment.

11. My dad doesn't have any talent for music, so he doesn't try. My mom plays acoustic guitar, as does my sister. My mom also has an alto voice, and she singers like she was the fat lady from Wagner. I can't stand it. She is ALWAYS the loudest one, and everyone knows it's her. It's very emmbarassing.

Rock on

YODA! He's a small muppet man! YODA! He can pick up your can! YODA! He has a small little stoop! But he smells like a pile of green goop! hey! hey! hey! We're making fun of Y! O! D! A! We're making fun of Y! O! D! A! A!---My six campers in a fit of boredom, sung like YMCA.
  12. yeah my family is a bunch of musicians. im the only bass player in my family. most of family plays guitar.

my uncle: bad ass at guitar. he was best friends with the zz top guys before they ever became famous. he has a $10,000 (thats what weve be told its worth) gibson les paul w/goldtop finish. im not sure how old the guitar is though. but hes been dead for over 20 years now. [​IMG]

my second cousin: also bad ass at guitar. he has a custom shop gibson les paul. only 11 (i think) in the world.

my sister: pretty good at guitar. shes played acoustic for years and now she finally gets an electric recently (a squier though , hee hee)

my brother: sucks at guitar. he also plays a squier [​IMG]

there is plenty more in my family (a ton of piano players) but thats all im gonna list.

"To be good and powerful, be corrupt and really good at math" --Big Wheel
  13. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
  14. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    My parents were not musical at all.
    But I do have relatives that were piano players, violinists, and accordion players. These people all lived and died many years ago. Also, I had a cousin who was a 60's flower child who used to play guitar. I remember her singing stuff like "Monday,Monday" etc.

But as far as I know, I'm the only one in my family to take it this far and make a second career out of it.

Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
  15. Ktulu

May 8, 2000
    My mom doesn't really have any musical talent. She sings a little, but that's it.

My brother also plays piano a little, but not very often.

My dad's a pretty damn good guitarist, though (at least I think so). Same with my uncle, but to a slightly lesser extent. My cousin plays bass and guitar, but I'm not sure how serious he is with either one. These are the people who got me started on bass. The only problem is that they like country music (ugh). I used to listen to country, but once I heard "Enter Sandman" I went to metal/hard rock and never looked back.

16. msaygilar

msaygilar Guest

Apr 18, 2000
    Hey guys you're so lucky. Some of you can jam with your parents. Ha ha.. My parents and relatives don't play any instruments. I'm the one who's playing an instrument in the whole family....

The Only Mask I Wear is the One I was Born With..
  17. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    My dad plays guitar. He was in a cover band in the mid-60s. That's the only stuff he knows. He's got a couple sweet guitars too:
    '64 Gretsch Astro Jet
    '83 Gibson Firebird with active EQ's (sounds like a PRS)
    He used to play bass in the band though on a Klira Beatle Bass.
    He taught me that you should buy quality right from the start. Of course, he bought my car and it's a lemon, so who cares what he says [​IMG]

"What consumes your thoughts controls your eyes...:eek:" - Creed
  18. ~Loxley~

~Loxley~ Guest

Apr 9, 2000
    Well it seems the male part of my family is quite musical. My dad plays the piano and he used to be in quite a well known band here in Denmark. My brother plays the trumpet, and I play the bass and the guitar.

~Loxley~ (I'm a guy [​IMG])

Never trust a man who doesn't drink - Winston Churchill

19. I come from a very big musical family. my dad and his 6 brothers and sisters all play instruments. my grandmother before she died was the states best piano player around. Many of my uncles are in the entertainment industry and are in numerous bands. My dads currently touring a band, he's been doing it for 25 years.
    My brother is mean guitarist (I play in his band [​IMG] ) and my mum and her parents play the piano.So when i took up bass everyone was like, "well what a surprise" lol [​IMG]

Bobby: Who's going to be at Waynestock?
    Wayne:uuhh ahh Van Halen!
    Garth:wow Van Halen, who else??
    Wayne: hmm uhh an old man fashioning a kyak out of a log???

20. Good Topic

My mom plays piano better than anyone I have witnessed, my sister can sing like an opera star, my little sister plays flute, my other little sister plays clarinet, my grandma on my mom's side plays trumpet, my grandpa on my mom's side plays violin, I play bass, trumpet, flute, clarinet, piano, guitar, sax, drums, tuba, sousaphone, kazoo, etc. My dad's side however, is completely tone deaf. My dad can't carry a tune in a bucket.