Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musical Plays anyone?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by luisnovelo, Feb 26, 2003.

1. I been holding the low end in musical plays for a year.. at college.. We have a great team including dancers, actors, singers and "musicians".. I've only been on two musical plays.. "Cats" and "Aida" (the Disney version) that is..

Tonight we played our last show of Aida in a theatre.. and we'll start rehearsing for "Hair Spray".. damn what a relief.. I found the last shows awesome.. Everyone put the best of theirselves.. And it feels so great to "work" with such a big group of people (we're like 60 people) and obtain such a good result.. Besides, one of the sexiest girls in the dancing team seems to like me. :cool: Oohh yeah..

I feel pretty happy right now with this stuff..

Is anyone else playing in any similar sort of shows?

peace
    :)

2. Er...no, but I did play in one original musical written by one of my high school teachers 2 years ago...does that count? :p

3. On DB:
    Oklahoma!
    West Side Story (BEST SCORE EVER IMO)
    South Pacific
    Showboat

On BG:
    Godspel
    JC Superstar
    West Side Story
    Showboat
    Man of LaMoncha
    Hair

All dinner theater or summer stock productions.
    I kinda miss 'em. Too much rehearsal time required though, don't miss that.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    I've been doing a similar type gig - "Rock n' Roll Show", every other year since my first year at the University here in Orange, CA.

Each show has new people come out and audition for various singing and dancing roles. Some of us band members (guitars, bass, horn section, drums & percussion), come back to play each time... a lot of hard work through rehearsals, but pays off with applause and audience appreciation for the show.

I suggest, if you get an opportunity to join in and play one of these, by all means, do so,

michael s.

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Oklahoma

You're a Good Man Charlie Brown, (my all time favorite... played an Ashbory throughout)

West Side Story - I agree... Best Score

South Pacific

Grease

Numerous Christmas/Easter shindigs

All on various electrics... I too love the feeling of a large group of people pulling together to make a production happen. I love gigging with bands, but theater can be pretty special.

-robert

6. NUNSENSE

I played NUNSENSE and it was a RIOT!

7. Yup, but both of my playing gigs were on sousaphone - The Sound of Music and Oliver. I once did sound production for Fiddler on the Roof.

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Played Guys & Dolls at school.

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Half A Sixpence too, actually.