1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musical Review Pet Peeve thread

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Against Will, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I'm in a bad mood.

1) People that compare bands that don't sound anything like Joy Division to Joy Division.
    sub A) Comparing bands to Pixies, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and the Velvet Underground, Led Zeppelin. Basically, if you have guitars, drums, and maybe a bass in your band, you probably sound like one, several or all of these bands.
    sub B) Comparing bands to formerly-obscure-now-practically-arena-rock bands because no one will listen to bands that say they sound like Nirvana on their one sheet even though they sound EXACTLY LIKE NIRVANA.

Because I don't feel very creative, I'm reposting a list penned by genius musical/cultural critic Jessica Hopper of words and phrases that should be purged from all professional and critical music literature.

breaking the boundries of genre
    genre defying
    genre defining
    decidedly different
    defies categorization
    auspicious debut
    ambitious debut
    striking debut
    thoughtful debut
    willingness to reinvent themselves
    distinguished by
    a sound that is distinctly their own
    unique, but familiar
    uniquely
    singular voice
    engaging
    surpassing
    cinematic
    soaring
    sweeping
    epic
    dynamic
    soundscape
    musical landscape (also see "traversing of")
    musical tapestry
    punctuating rhythms
    punctuating bombast

And

"is proof that"
    "proves that"
    auspicious
    Like _______ on acid
    garnering attention
    most notably
    throws down the gauntlet
    atmospherics
    ____ bliss
    lilting
    sonic nightmare
    sonic equivalent of
    bombastic combination
    classic combination of
    pastiche
    vividly etched
    hearkens
    to surprinsing effect
    avoids the trappings
    surprisingly ( WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME ANYTHING ON A RECORD TOUCHED OFF GENUINE SURPRISE?)

2. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Don't worry, the growing power of the every mighty genre of "Rap" will soon put all of us out of business...

They have enough music to "sample" (a.k.a. cut/copy and paste from a real song) for years to come. The best is that they sample songs that have been sampled before. I have heard one background tune from Notorious BIG (which had to be taken (sorry "sampled") from an actual musician) and just heard the same background tune out of Gwen Stefani.

Who needs to play instruments anymore anyways... Losing battle because people can't get enough of this rap B.S.

3. its true...with all the music that is out already, i think we can safely cut and paste a hit song without anyone knowing where we got the music...

but i agree with AW, music reviews are pretty much dumb

4. Pet peeves, reviewers, reviews, 'define your sound' discussions, and the like are instruments of evil and are all designed to waste your time. Avoid conversations based on these topics at all costs and do not allow them to occupy your precious 'music time'.

Recommended methods for avoiding these sort of topics in conversation include:

• Point eagerly at a tall, black man across the street and say "Hey, isn't that Bootsy Collins?" - Then when he turns to see, run!
    • Point eagerly at a tall, white man across the street and say "Hey, isn't that Les Claypool?" - Then when he turns to see, run!
    • Start looking intently at the sandwich/other food items the conversation starter is eating and begin drooling. Then reach for it and insist on having a bite and don't take 'no' for an answer.
    • Answer every question with, "would you like fries with that?" - (OK, cliche I know... but it does work!)
    • Look disgusted and pee on his shoes.