Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musical Six Degrees of Separation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jazzbo, Sep 27, 2002.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Okay. This thread had started over in another thread, and we were supposed to start another, but it never happened, so here we go.

You guys know the rules, link one musician to another in six moves. If the "Miles Davis Clause" becomes too abused, I might suggest a "No Miles" rule.

To start her off, who would like to have a go at Mick Hucknall to Tony Williams?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    What if you can establish a connection in less than six degrees?

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    That's good to. It should read, "no more than six moves."

4. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    If I could remember who it was that linked my funk bands keyboard player to Miles Davis, I could do:

1. Me
    2. My keyboard player
    3. XXXXX
    4. Miles Davis

Which then means I'm approximately 1 additional degree of separation from the entire music industry... :D

5. Hard. This going to be hard. But very cerebral.

My brain hurts. I'm going home.

Mike J.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Nobody?

7. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I dont understand.

But I've met and talked to the drummer for Dogstar (Keanu R's band) and the bass player for Linkin Park (Yippee!! I learned so much ;) )

8. OK, check this out:

1. Me
    2. My high school calculus teacher, Dr. Janice Krouse
    3. Trent Reznor, who dated the future Mrs. Krouse when the two were in high school in western PA
    4...everybody.

9. mmm I may not have a connection with Miles Davis in less than 20 degrees... but..
    Here are some:

Me -
    My Portugese politic Uncle (who lives in Canada) - Some friends and relatives of his -
    Nelly Furtado.

:p

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Does nobody understand the game? :rolleyes:

11. I understand!

I'm just too friggin' stupid to work it out!

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yes.
    First, I hadda figure out who Mick Hucknall was(Yes, I have a couple of Simply Red albums...yes, I played in an '80s R&B/Pop band).

Tony Williams has rocked out-
    ...I'm thinking a Jack Bruce to Ginger Baker to Stevie Winwood connection. Have any of the sidemen with Simply Red gigged/recorded with Winwood?
    I dunno...I'm still thinking. ;)

13. I don't even know who these guys are. Why not include who they currently play for, or include what they are best known for.

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Mick [​IMG] Lead singer of Simply Red.
    Tony [​IMG] Young drummer wiz who played with one of the quintessential Miles Davis quintets (with Ron Carter, Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter) in the '60s, deceased.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Tony also played in perhaps the FIRST ever Fusion band-
    Lifetime(w/ Larry Young & John McLaughlin).

Williams was an extraordinary talent.
    If you don't know his work, I recommend gettin' busy & do some listening & learning.
    As much as Jaco & Stanley shook up the electric bass world, Tony Williams shook up the drum world(& he was, like, 17 years old & gigging with some Jazz heavyweights like Sam Rivers & Jackie McLean).
    Williams was a searcher...he coulda stayed in straightahead Jazz mode; he didn't. You would be hard pressed to find a more versatile player with such extreme tools.
    I would say every Modern drummer, regardless of genre, owes Williams big time.

16. The drummer in the straightahead sextet in which I play was having some problems figuring out what to play over "Maiden Voyage." He told our coach, "Hmm...should I just do here what Tony Williams did on the original recording?"

Our coach responded, "Do that and I'll die and go to heaven."

17. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    www.google.com

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hey Pete-
    I was browsing the record store today & saw that I blew it big time-
    When you were talking about Tyner's Atlantis, I jumped in & said "Yeah, my uncle gave me that disc back in '76".
    Well, now I know it wasn't Atlantis...it was Trident.
    Damn.

Jazzbo-
    Am I going off on a snipe hunt or am I getting 'warm'?

19. ...which is also a killer disc. The versions of "Once I Loved" and "Ruby, My Dear" are monstrous.

20. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    What the hell happened to jazzbo's thread? its definately not in here...:p :D