1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musical subcultures.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The_Low_Dude, Nov 18, 2010.

1. The_Low_Dude

The_Low_Dude

Oct 16, 2009
    I have to do an assignment about musical subcultures from the past 10 years. I realized that I don't know a lot about this, and after googling and reading wikipedia for about an hour or so, I got stuck.

We got a timeline with subcultures from the 1950's until the 90's and have to complete it with subcultures from the last 10 years. I could only find emo's and hipster. Ow, yeah, and these guys: http://www.kens5.com/news/Teen-wolves-in-San-Antonio-94015234.html.

Am I this ignorant or is it that nothing really happened in the last 10 years or so?

2. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I'd interview high school students, especially ones in groups that appear dress in particular way.

but realistically 2000-2010 saw the musical landscape fragment into so many micro-genres that there may not be enough people into a single one to justify a "sub-culture"

3. Devo-lution

Devo-lution

Jun 24, 2009
    Nowadays is the blending pot to my experience. Old things are revived and recloseted in a rapid tempo. Old subcultures revive and die again one by one.

oh... and you had that hardcore vs mathcore vs soulcore vs funkcore vs jazzcore vs screamo(core) vs deathcore vs metalcore vs saladcore stuff...

4. The_Low_Dude

The_Low_Dude

Oct 16, 2009
    That was my guess too, together with 'almost everyone that is "alternative" gets labeled as hipster'.

5. Steampunk's progressively getting bigger.

6. Don't forget the punk-skas XIIIth wave.

7. Baron Von Vik

Baron Von Vik

Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Mojo FunkBasses
    Don't forget Zydecore. And remember I mentioned it here.

11/18/2010.

8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Punk. Metal. If you want, you can get more specific with umpteen kinds of metal.
    New Wave in the early 80's
    Reggae is a subculture for sure.
    Mods and Rockers back in the 60's. Disco. Ugh, yes, Disco.
    Hip Hop - there are a lot of subcultures within that as well.
    Country music has several subcultures as well.
    Take any year and you can find a bunch of them.

9. Hardcore
    Rapcore
    Screamo
    Scene
    Nu-Rave

10. The_Low_Dude

The_Low_Dude

Oct 16, 2009
    Not exactly subcultures from the last 10 years.

I can't really make it too specific, cause that would make a really long list.

11. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Sorry, saw your "1950's to present".

But - it's your assignment, you can manage it.

12. Robotsatemygma

Robotsatemygma

Jan 17, 2010
    Were talking musical subculture in a sense of groups versus musical genre, correct?

I'll assume my question is correct and go from there.

From my experience, being 27 and been involved in the "scene" for much of my life because of my love for music, it's still widely segregated.

For a period of time, I played lead guitar in a metalcore band that had a huge teenage following... they came from all walks of life, but the majority of them felt isolated for their differences. They dressed much like I did in high school, band shirts and baggy jeans, but there was also emo's too, with tight clothing and the whole emo hair cut. We also appealed to other metal heads due to our contrasting influences and agro approach. Despite image differences they were very similar. They just wanted to have a good time listening to music in a entertaining atmosphere. What I did notice is a lot of showmanship between the age groups. You know, your typical antics related to a yearning of acceptance.

Drastic change, my original band played to two seperate groups in it's entirety. We were a mathcore group with jazz influences, so safe to say pretty avant gard. Too metal for the hardcore and too hardcore for metal. We played tons of shows and drew different crowds but really only towards the end we found our niche I guess you could say. At first we were drawing a huge metal crowd, you know you're average let's get wasted and smoke some shwag type of dudes.

Then we started appealing to a different crowd, hipsters I guess you could say. 80's fashion, wide variety of musical tastes, ride bikes every where and extremely talented musicians and artists. I honestly think we had more fun with these kids (even though I didn't identify with their sense of fashion) then we ever did. We'd play random shows and they'd all show up and we'd end up partying with them before and after. These people were more mature then any of the groups that associated themselves with any band I played with.

As a lover of music and art I'd often find myself checking out different bands, solo artists, and art exhibits. I'd find more and more of these people at every event, no matter what it was. It could be an acoustic set, dub dj set, punk show, art gallery, or even an art crawl and they'd be there. They just have a massive appreciation of creative talent that your typical teenager and metalhead lack.

Now with the jazz scene, the people may vary in age but they all seem to have certain similarities. A little higher class, make more money, an overall image of trust funds and BMW's. You're basic higher income earners, no matter the age. The music is what matters to me not the "cliental". I spent a few dates going to jazz clubs and I think I drove the oldest car in these parking lots.

Now blues and country, that's you're 40+ average joe in my eyes. These are people your "working stiffs" drink beer and rum and cokes, and dance to the groove of the blues. It's where they want to cut loose and forget about that promotion they were denied or the dentist bill for Billy Jr's braces.

I could go on but I sincerely hope I helped you out. In the long run, it's the kids and the music that has changed, not the adults.

13. I had no idea that metal / hard rock / whatever had splintered so much, but one time I took my kid to Ozzfest (~5 years ago) and it was obvious in the audience.

The "hardcore" kids did this Karate-Chop Flailing style dance, while the "metal" kids moshed.

Loose VS. Tight clothes, where your bandana was placed, etc.....

To me, I could barely tell the difference in music, but the kids sure were polarized.

14. Yeah, the "core"s and also shoegaze. Don't forget the club kids too. There are tons of "genres" of electronic music. There are still the mohawk/leather jacket punks too but they're pretty few and far between... Same with the jean jacket with patches Camaro drivin' metalhead.

15. There have been many new generes but most have been fads that did not last or attain much commercial success.

16. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    In the last ten years? Well, I don't know if you'd call it a "subculture" but the whole Do-It-Yourself movement (see "indie rock") has been something that has blossomed significantly over the last few years. "Psychobilly" also comes to mind (I'd say that's a bit more of a subculture but I'm not sure exactly how long it's been around). There's been a rockabilly revival of sorts in certain areas - don't know how widespread that is. Same with bluegrass and what a friend of mine describes as "dirty hillbilly" music.

17. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Neo-folk/newgrass has had a big subculture for the last 5 years or so
    Affliction Metal is huge still
    Indie hip hop/Nerdcore is pretty big and interesting
    Noise music has it's own culture as well

18. the hardcore scene has blown up, boiled over, divided into a million pieces and blown up again.

hardcore with a cause is big again. the straight edge and vegan cultures are big again. although they have really big sell out rates, they are popular.

and of course theres a section of every genre of music that gets mixed with electronica.

hip hop has gone back to super analog sounding synths and 808's, all while putting autotune on EVERYTHING. its sort of super old meets super new.

there could a point that DIY is at an all time high due to computer based recording, software synths, drum sequencers, amp sims and cheap audio interfaces. a decent sounding first record can be done in a bedroom. the influx of musicians is astounding.

christian music is all over the place now. we have christian death metal. its not all old school catholic mass friendly. creed made christian hard rock cool. now its taken off.

i could keep going, but id end up writing your paper for you :D

19. The_Low_Dude

The_Low_Dude

Oct 16, 2009
    I heard a lot of interesting things here.

But even when a genre gets popular, you can't necessarily call their audience a subculture/scene/ ... And I think the "new folk-revival" is a good example. So where would you draw the line between (target-)audience and subculture/scene...

Maybe that's my problem here, that I don't know where to draw that line, because I know enough about genres.

20. Psychobilly was more of an 80's thing, most bands kinda died out and now dont do any/few shows, other than a few bands, most notably nekromantix.