Musically Frustrated

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by dirk, Sep 12, 2002.

1. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Hello all you resident jazzers.

Here's my situation. I've been playing electric bass for almost 3 years, and I've been playing upright for maybe 4 months. I'm a freshman in college at the University of Louisiana at Monroe and I'm the bassist in the top jazz band. I've only had a few lessons on upright, but those were focused more on technique so I figure out how to play the thing. After I got my technique down I have been in kind of a rut. I'm getting better at my walking lines but I'm just musically frustrated right now. I've just started studying with a teacher and I'm hoping that w/ practice I can get over it. I just need some reassurance at this point. I talked with the drummer after rehearsal today and he said that I was probably where I needed to be at this point, since I am virtually a beginner. He also said I had a very good sense of tempo and stayed right on the beat most of the time. I think maybe my technique is lagging behind since lately I've been focusing on the theoretical aspect of playing. I just needed to blow off some steam. I feel better already.

2. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Don't you have lessons every week? Maybe talk to your bass instructor and let him/her help you out of your rut. Upright isn't an easy instrument to learn so just take things a day at a time and make sure you're getting enough practice time.
  3. Just keep working, a life long pursuit like this will have it's ups and downs. Hell, I'm on an up period right now, but my first post here was pretty much the same thing. The best thing I could tell you is ask your teacher about anything you feel you need help with. But relax, have fun, and give yourself credit for being in the top jazz band (but not too much credit;) ).
  4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Plateaus (sp?) are part of the process. What you're working on now will come out eventually.