Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musically hungry for them meats and po-tay-toes

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've been listening to music all day, and about half an hour ago, I was feeling...hungry. Like, some kind of weird emptiness that I knew a big, chunky huge sound could fill. I thought about all my music, and a lot of stuff that would have a chunky sound if it was recorded later than 1965 (Oscar Peterson Trio) was ruled out. Huge chunk of music gone. All my acoustic-only tracks gone, rock tracks, most of my jazz, etc., so I was thinking "Something with lots of bass". So I scrolled past Marcus, and Vic, and Stanley.

Then it hit me.

Jamerson. I turned on Marvin Gaye, and I'm beginning to feel full. Now Incubus - Deep Inside (I love the big, fat, massive tone of EVERYTHING on that album -- just a big portly CD, that is). Next is going to be Groove Collective, then DMB - Crush, and I guess I'll top it off with a dessert of D'Angelo - Untitled (How Does it Feel?) with some of the groooooviest bass, done by the Master of the P-Bass R&B, Raphael Saadiq himself.

So, what is it y'all at TB listen to when you're hit with the musical appetite of a starving, angry rhino?

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Speakerboxxx/Love Below

Lots of groove, not as thick bass, more french fries than steak.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm gonna go eat pizza. MMMMM.

Sorry, this thread just made me hungry.

I still don't quite get what meat and potatos means.