MusicDrive bass (any info welcomed)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zipflint, Oct 21, 2005.

1. zipflint

Sep 25, 2005
    Spartanburg, SC
    My first (and so far, only) bass is this MusicDrive 4-string. It's nothing special, but I'm fairly certain it was also fairly cheap. I'd like to talk more about how it sounds, but I've only played it thru a rather dinky Epiphone 1000B practice amp. It came from Musican's Friend about 4 years ago and I've been practicing on-and-off ever since, and have used it extensively with my band. We're kind of "no-fi" due to budget constraints, but we're steadily improving our gear and getting more serious about the music. I guess we're kind of a post/noise rock outfit. Influences include Trans Am, Mogwai, Pink Floyd, Caberet Voltaire, Sonic Youth, Melt Banana, Man or Astro-Man?, and even a little Boards of Canada and Aphex Twin.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience with these things. I've searched this forum and didn't turn up any real results, and even googling didn't reveal much. I'm saving up for a Rick (love the looks and the tone) and hope to pair it with a nice tube amp (trying to decide between an SVT-CL or a Mesa/Boogie 400+, but that's another post entirely) and possibly an 810 cab. But I'll most likely hang on to this MusicDrive bass. It's served me well so far. It's decently balanced with no neck-dive, the finish is pretty nice, and aside from some issues with the output jack it's given me no electrical problems.

I apologize for making such a long post. I've been lurking for a while and I figured it's better to be overly thorough than frustratingly opaque.
    Attached (I hope) is a pic of this thing. The only markings it has is the MusicDrive logo on the headstock. The tuners have Gotoh stickers on them which leads me to believe they're really just some kind of generic hardware.

Attached Files: