1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

musicgoround

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tgriley62, May 12, 2011.

1. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    Came across this site Music Go Round & saw several MIA, MIM & MIJ Fenders. Has anyone done business with them? They do not have a store near me so I would have to buy on-line only so any info would help. Thanks

2. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have bought 3 units from various MGR stores in the past 2 years online and never had an issue in any of the transactions. I had no problems with pictures they took of the items that did not match what came in the boxes. I'm sure someone can give you disaster stories, but not me.

3. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    My one experience with them - buying a used pedal - was fine, no problem at all.

4. Bozendoka

Bozendoka

Mar 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    I live near a couple of MGRs, they deal primarily in used gear. I believe they're franchised. I've had good experiences buying in their stores and online - I've bought two instruments from them online and everything went well. I had a lot of questions about one of them and the guy I worked with was very helpful, we had multiple phone calls and he sent several pics that I requested.

5. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Another TB'er and friend of mine bought a Peavey Millennium from them a few months ago. Quizzed them thoroughly over the phone and was told there were no issues with the bass. Showed up and had a crack in the neck right around the nut end of the truss road (i.e. on the back of the neck a couple of inches from the headstock).

They would have done a return or, what he opted for, getting some of his money back and keeping the bass. The neck on it has been perfectly fine, so he ended up with a killer deal.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from MGR.

6. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    There is one of those stores about 40 minutes from My house. They carry used gear, and are fairly reasonable on their prices. The staff at the store are nice folks, and I've scored some decent deals with them. I haven't bought anything from the on-line store though, but I'd think they'd be stand-up folks to buy from. The prices they have listed with shipping look reasonable enough.

7. I live near two music go rounds and have actually got most of my music gear there. You stumble upon some awesome deals there. Unfortunately their website isn't updated as soon as everything comes into the stores, so the way to get the best deals is to go to the stores every week like I do.

8. They don't ship internationally. It'd be nice if someone opened a franchise around Seattle. I'd take a trip there every now & then.

9. It's my #1 go to place for stuff.

10. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    The one I visit is great, or the people are at least. Willing to work with you..........give you a few days warrantee etc. I've bought a few things there, but never a bass. They have the wierdest collection of basses ever.......names I've never heard of ANYWHERE.

But a good business from what I can tell.

11. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    I've had good experiences at my local mgr. They usually have good prices, and if not, you don't have to buy from them of course. Generally, however, I have seen some great deals and snagged a few myself. Plus, the guys at mine are cool and almost always throw in a gig bag if I buy a guitar or bass so I can get it home safely. Is it a nice, high end bag? No, but they didn't have to give me anything at all as i didn't try to negotiate anything or purchase one. Overall, I'm a fan of their stores.

12. I bought my Cort GB 34a from one that was out of my state. I thought the price was ridiculously low, so I called to ask about what was wrong with the bass. The pickguard had been removed, the screw holes not filled in, and the rout for the mid pick-up not addressed. Anyone who has seen one of these WITH the pickguard knows that removing it is an improvement. I ordered it. It came on time and in tune! I bought a cymbal from a local MGR. I had no complaints.

13. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I'd burn my $ before shopping there again

14. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Literally everything I use is bought from my local Musicgoround. My band won band of the month through them last year. All the guys that work there are cool and very helpful, I'm in there at least once a week. It's my favorite!

15. Haven't had any luck with the local MGR but I have purchased from other MGRs and have had great success (much love for the stores in Duluth, MN & Littleton, CO).

They've always taken the time to answer all of my questions, been very knowledgable & helpful, and very open about any issues that a piece may have.

Of course, I do have a friend that feels the same as GM60466.

16. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    +1

I tell you true, Music Go Round is like cash showering from God right out of heaven into your music room! I have bought a TON of stuff there, basses, guitars, drums, electronics, mics, weird instruments, you name it. I've also sold stuff there. And let me advise you that selling on consignment works like a champ. But I do not recommend letting the store just buy it from you. (and that goes for places like GC as well) They will really low-ball you.

But to properly tap into the cash, it is essential that you "shop like a woman". Man-style shopping (which means decide what you want, go to the store, find it, pay for it (don't even bother to ask what it costs) and leave) will leave you sorely disappointed.

Nay you must haunt the stores regularly. Even if you have a general thing in mind (I'm looking for a 6 string etc.), KEEP AN OPEN MIND. You'll never know from which direction that next "gift" will be coming! Scan it all looking for deals. How does a Ken smith for $300 sound? What about A Modulus for $1000. Even cooler was for some reason the manager always put the same price on all conga drums: $100. I guess he didn't realize that they also come in various grades. Lessee. $100 for smallish LP beginner congas or $100 for my Gon Bops? Wanna see my Gon bops? See what I mean? It's like FREE MONEY. But often there is nothing there. You walk away empty handed with nothing but the fun of poking around. So be it.

And customer service ain't shabby either. I bought some electronic processor thing there and when I took it home and started going through the functions I found a broken switch and whole section of processing dead. I just took it back showed them how it was defective, and got my money back no problem. I was sort of surprised given that it was an obviously used unit.

My only problem now is that when I stop in there I cry because like Alexander the Great there are no more instruments to buy. I seem to own one of just about everything and I didn't go broke doing it. So now you know my secret!

17. That's surprising to me. I've had nothing but good experiences at ours.

18. I wouldn't say I've had bad experiences there, just haven't had any good ones. Could just be me, though.

I'm going to try to stop in on Sunday, before my hockey game, and see what they have in used cabinets. Hopefully I can get myself in to a good used 410.